Monday, May 02, 2005

The little things

Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade. - Mark 4:30-32

I used to focus entirely on the hope for an extraordinary breakthrough and change in a situation in my life. I recklessly overlooked the little things and details; daily and locally. I’d never think about the real problem behind my action, though it seems the right and ‘heroic’ thing to do. I was also making myself victim to a situation at the expense of being a truthful person. Later, when things begin to crumble, I started to search for answers.

Now as I looked back, I’m able to discern a pattern. I see that God has been faithfully with me all these while, accomplishing His unfathomable will for my life. He has been working all things out for good despite my choices. People were changed and lives been transformed. I’ve learnt that any important decision in future matters less than what we do every day, the commitments to build and lay the foundation for what is to come. The more diligent and faithful I am now, the greater my capacity to do the will of God later on.

"We cannot become truly good in a better, more marvelous, and yet easier way than by the simple use of the means offered us by God: the ready acceptance of all that comes to us at each moment of our lives." — Jean Pierre de Caussade quoted in The Inner Treasure by Jonathan Star