The Law of the Spirit
Life by the Spirit
16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
Reflection of Bee:
Becoming Christians do not rid us of sins, may have discovered to our dismay. In fact, we may find ourselves 'more sinful' than ever. This is because our born-again spirit becomes very sensitive whenever we sinned against God. In addition, the devil tries to tempt us even harder. Even the Apostle Paul struggled with sins as shown in Romans 7:7-25:
4We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.
Yes, as we try to please God we may become very discouraged whenever we give in to our sinful nature, and we cried out "What a wretched man I am!" Thank God that through Christ and the Holy Spirit we can overcome the sinful nature (Romans &:25).
Instead of focusing on the negative aspects (sins) and try to avoid them, we should focus on the positives aspects of the fruit of the Spirit:
love
joy
peace
patience
kindness
goodness
faithfulness
gentleness
self-control
joy
peace
patience
kindness
goodness
faithfulness
gentleness
self-control
When the above aspects of the fruit of the Spirit are shown in our lives we don't have to struggle to fight our sinful nature. They come about when we allow the Spirit of God to lead us daily.
Dear Lord,
Thank You for always answering my prayers. Tonight I pray that each aspect of Your fruit will be evident in my life.
I pray especially for "joy" and "peace" which are missing in my life the last one month or so. I pray that tonight you will restore the joy of my salvation and give me peace that surpasses all understanding.
I pray too for Tommy that Your Holy Spirit will indwell him daily that Your fruit will be seen in his life clearly by those around.
I know You will hear my prayers tonight just like You always did.
For I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.
Reflection of Tommy:
There are many who give the excuse of being ‘normal’ or natural for indulging in wrongful and selfish desires. They find that there is nothing wrong with their attitude as everyone is like that or that they ignore and refuse to deal with them but continuing doing what is wrong. They think that God being merciful and all that, will obviously understand their action.
But is it really so? The danger is that they’ll eventually find them selves coping with not doing what they want but doing the very thing they do not want. This happens because the desires of the sinful nature are totally conflicting and contrary with the Spirit (v16).
So, how do we counter this obvious (v19) trap of our sinful nature? Whenever there are sinful desires or passions in our heart, do not ignore them but to ask God to bring them to light for us. By committing our sinful tendencies to God’s control and empowering the Holy Spirit to lead us, we then make the decision to do what associated with the fruits of the Spirit, not our sinful desires. By doing this we will gain the power of Christ to help us control and overcome our selfish desires and to keep in step with the Spirit (v25).
Dear Father, thank You for teaching me to identify any contradicting desires inside me that go against the Spirit. Remind me always that Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature in me together with all its passions and desires. Because of this, I no longer under the law (v18) but to live by the Spirit - living each day led, controlled and guided by Him. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

