Thursday, January 18, 2007

You And Your Possessions

Matthew 19:16-26

The Rich Young Man
16Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"

17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

18"Which ones?" the man inquired.

Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[a] and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"

20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"

21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."


Reflection of Bee:

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor,
and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (v21)

Love is not just words alone, love is actions. It will be hypocritical to say we love God and our neigbours yet our actions show no care and concern or are hurtful to others.

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (v26)

In our own effort it is "impossible" for us to be "perfect" but with God's transformation power in our life it is possible.


Dear Lord,
I know that without Your works in my life,it will be impossible for me to enter Your Kingdom. Thank You for saving and changing me moment by moment so that I shall be "perfect" in Your sight one day. Help me to love in actions and not just words.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen


Reflection of Tommy:

Did Jesus ask us as believer to give away all our possessions? No. Each of us are responsible to care for our own needs and the needs of our families. But, what Jesus brought up was the importance of having the right attitude towards all our God-given wealth. We should be willing to give up anything if God asks us to do so. With this kind of attitude, we will not make ourselves an idol and put it above God, violating the first and greatest commandment of all (Matthew 22:36-40).

Dear Father, thank You for teaching me to have the right attitude towards my possession. Thank You for reminding me that all that I own and have now are from You. Teach me to use this wealth wisely, in ways that are pleasing to You. Keep me away from putting any other things above and more important than You in my life. In Jesus’ Name, I pray, Amen.