Monday, January 29, 2007

The Right Comparison

2 Corinthians 10:12-18

12We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 13We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the field God has assigned to us, a field that reaches even to you. 14We are not going too far in our boasting, as would be the case if we had not come to you, for we did get as far as you with the gospel of Christ. 15Neither do we go beyond our limits by boasting of work done by others.[a] Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our area of activity among you will greatly expand, 16so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you. For we do not want to boast about work already done in another man's territory. 17But, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."[b] 18For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.


Reflection of Bee:

During our last Sunday Church Service, the speaker asked a number of thoughts-provoking questions:

1. What is your greatest achievement in 2006?

Hmmn... I never thought of that. He followed by sharing Matthew 7:16, "By their fruit you will recognize them." This fruit is the "KPI" (Key Performance Indicators) for Christians. Well said!

2. What is this "fruit"?

Galatians 5:22-23 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

3. Can you think of someone whose life shows forth the fruit of the Spirit?

I thought very hard. If I have to think so hard... it's not a very good sign.


Today, as I was talking over the phone with an ex-colleague who resigned 4 months ago, she commended that I did very well in my current work that has brought about new growth and expansion for my company this year.

Erm... I felt so 'pai seh' at that moment, for I have never thought about that or realize the growth. I simply work so hard and did my best as unto God. Her remarked made me realized how God has blessed me in my work. I quickly said, "Praise God! It's He who did that".

With such remark and commendation about us could easily make us 'swell headed' and forget about God's blessing if we are not careful. So just like what v 17 said, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Dear Lord,
Thank You for sending my ex-colleague to remind me today of the blessings You have in my life. Sorry, Lord, that when I 'drown' myself in work so as to escape from my pain I fail to see Your goodness in my life.
Help me to learn to count my blessings one by one each day. Thank Yo for the people around me whom I can have a chance to share Your love and grace. Make my life count tothose around.
In Christ's name I pray. Amen.



Reflection of Tommy:

We need to be aware of our pride when we think highly of our spiritual maturity compares to other believers. It is easy to boast about our bible’s knowledge and our proud achievements without showing genuine love, care and concern to those who are new to the faith. We neither care to listen nor giving opportunity for them to share with us. Worst, we may invalidate their every thoughts or views; thinking only our thoughts matters or right.

If we are indeed feeling spiritually superior, we need to humbly ask God to give us the right and proper attitude. Like what Paul said in Philippians 2:3-4:

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”

Dear Father, thank You for reminding me about the right attitude to have when sharing with others. Teach me always quick to listen and slow to speak; to have true humility and a servanthood heart when sharing what I’ve learn from You with others. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.