Friday, February 23, 2007

The New Religion


Ecclesiastes 2:1-11

Pleasures Are Meaningless
1 I thought in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good." But that also proved to be meaningless. 2 "Laughter," I said, "is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?" 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.

4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem [a] as well—the delights of the heart of man. 9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.

10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my work,
and this was the reward for all my labor.


11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun.


Reflection of Bee:

A "New Religion" has crept into many lives, including Christians. This religion is Materialism. Some call it the 5 Cs or other new terms.

When we read all that the King had done in the above passage, they looked legitimate. Yet on closer look we know that what he did was more than what he needed. He had everything yet his conclusion was all his achievements were "meaningless, a chasing after the wind, nothing was gained under the sun" (v11). He was the wisest King yet he committed such foolishness.

Today many are doing the same things too... they may take up many "projects", work very hard, earn more money, but at the end of the day lose their health, their loved ones and even themselves. We need to beware of our own tendency to become materialistic, and know our own limit and priority in life before it is too late.

Dear Lord,
Teach me to number my days and live them well for You. Teach me to lay up my treasures in heaven and not on earth where I can't bring them along with me when I die.
I pray too for my 'bf' that he will not fall into the same trap as the King. Grant him good night rest and a safe journey home tomorrow.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.



Reflection of Tommy:
Many sincere Christians know clearly that they will never receive true fulfillment from possession, money or achievements. They also know only God can provides all that they need. But, they still find themselves working so hard daily, having very little left for God.

The problem lies in their trust in God and also the confusion over God’s will for their lives. They work hard because they worry what if what they are doing (working hard) is in fact what God wanted them to do. They think it may be part of God’s will for them to be this hardworking and to save for their future.

It is true God want us to work hard and diligently, but our work should never take first place in our lives. Instead, we should put God first by going to Him daily with prayer and devotion. He will supply us with the right perspective on His will for our career and ambition.

We also need not to worry what to do or guessing what His will for us when we seek Him first because He will guide us in every step. Often, when we have a close relationship with Him and constantly and actively resting our trust in Him, things will turn out so much more smoothly in our lives.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding me on this again. Forgive me of my lack of faith sometimes to fully trust and surrender my concerns to You. Guide me to spend time each day listening to Your guidance through the Holy Spirit. Teach me most of all to always have the right priority to seek You first, not to wait for tomorrow but to do it now! In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.