The Hard Truth
Micaiah Prophesies Against Ahab
1 For three years there was no war between Aram and Israel. 2 But in the third year Jehoshaphat king of Judah went down to see the king of Israel. 3 The king of Israel had said to his officials, "Don't you know that Ramoth Gilead belongs to us and yet we are doing nothing to retake it from the king of Aram?"
4 So he asked Jehoshaphat, "Will you go with me to fight against Ramoth Gilead?"
Jehoshaphat replied to the king of Israel, "I am as you are, my people as your people, my horses as your horses." 5 But Jehoshaphat also said to the king of Israel, "First seek the counsel of the LORD."
6 So the king of Israel brought together the prophets—about four hundred men—and asked them, "Shall I go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"
"Go," they answered, "for the Lord will give it into the king's hand."
7 But Jehoshaphat asked, "Is there not a prophet of the LORD here whom we can inquire of?"
8 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, "There is still one man through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah."
"The king should not say that," Jehoshaphat replied.
Reflection of Tommy:
Things in life often do not come in black and white, where it’s hard to distinguish clearly what we should do in a situation. Like Ahab, we tend to choose answer that is easy and comforting though it’s possibly not the truth. But, we know later how Ahab paid a costly price for his ignorance towards Micaiah and believing in those false prophets.
When we are confused, seek God and His Word to guide us. His Word will always be the truth and light that shines our path brightly when we are in darkness. Be aware of ‘false prophets’ and get counsel only from those who believe that “all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Tim. 3:16).
Dear Father, thank You for teaching me to refer back to Your Word when I’m perplexed by things around me. Keep my way right by leading me to apply what I’ve learnt from You Word into my life. Give me a good listening ear that I may be open to advice from others and also the discernment and wisdom to tell what is right from wrong. In Jesus’ Name, I pray, Amen.

