Listen, Know and Follow
14"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."
19At these words the Jews were again divided. 20Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?"
21But others said, "These are not the sayings of a man possessed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?"
The Unbelief of the Jews
22Then came the Feast of Dedication[a] at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon's Colonnade. 24The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ,[b] tell us plainly."
25Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[c]; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one."
Reflection of Bee:
As Christians, sometimes we get frustrated when we couldn't breakthrough to non-believers or even to some believers when we tried to witness or testify for Christ to them. We wonder why they just can't believe or understand what we are saying. Tonight's devotion reminds us that it's normal because they are not the "sheep" of Jesus, and therefore they can't hear His voice (v26,27).
Jesus did not say my lamb, but my SHEEP, hear my voice. That means, in order to hear God's voice we need to grow up spiritually instead of remaining as babes in spiritual things. To grow, we need to read the bible and pray daily just like new born babies need to drink milk and then progress to eating solid food in order to grow well.
The "sheep" of Jesus not only LISTEN to His voice, but also KNOW Him and FOLLOW Him (verse 27). For that no one can snatch the "sheep" from Jesus' hand.... the basis for eternal security (v28,29).
Dear Lord,
Thank You for revealing to me this truth again tonight that I can be secured in Your hands when I become Your sheep. Teach me to listen, know and follow You as I put my hands in Yours. I want to know Your will and follow Your leading. Give me grace to do be obedient.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Reflection of Tommy:
There are times we doubt whether we’ll be eternally secured in God’s hand. We are afraid of missing the mark and losing God’s gift of salvation due to our failure. We may be discouraged and quit growing in our walk with God. But from today’s passage, we learn that Jesus, like a shepherd that protects his sheep. We can be assured that He will give us firm, everlasting safety and protection from eternal harm when we sincerely choose to follow Him.
Dear Father, thank You for Your constant guidance and leading. Thank You for supplying me with both Your wisdom and peace to deal with all situation in my life. Lord, guard my heart and mind always from all forms of distraction and enticement that may lead me away from You. Teach me to follow my Shepherd wherever He led me to. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.


