Sunday, September 03, 2006

Between Sundays

Colossians 3:22-25

22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.



Bee's Thoughts:

Blogger seems to have some problems.... a number of times, after I saved my drafts, they were no where to be found when I checked them and I have retype everything. :(

Anyway, tonight's devotion is a reminder that I have do as unto God in everyting, obeying authorities at my working place and speak with wisdom with them. Matthew 5:16 says we are to let our light shines before men, that they may know our father in Heaven.

Dear Lord,
I pray that You will guide me in dealing with my colleagues and the parents in our centres. May my light shines so that others may know You.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


Tommy's Thoughts:

I used to wonder why God has planned it in such a way that most of us spend big portion of our times daily on works and other mundane and repetitive activities. In his book “The Will of God as a Way of Life” author Jerry Sittser explained that God is concerned more with the dailyness of our lives, the ordinary concerns that come at us every day than with those big ‘events’ or even the future.

No matter how mundane and ordinary we think our lives and vocations may be, we’ll discover that we are given similar, if not, more opportunities than those working in full-time ministry to share and spread the good news of salvation to others.

In today’s passage, similarly to 1 Peter 2:18, we were asked to submit, obey and serve those who rule over us (employer) by working diligently with and all our heart (v22); in reverence for the Lord. Through this, we’ll able to see the purpose for our vocations; we’ll know by serving our “earthly master”, we are in fact serving our Lord.

Dear Father, thank You for reminding me to work diligently at my workplace all the time. Teach me to be trustworthy, responsible, reliable and dependable with all those I work or in contact with daily, that I may be a good witness for Christ. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.