Hurry Sickness
Pressing on Toward the Goal
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Bee's Thoughts:Although we try to forget the past, be they victories or failures, yet we often unconsiously hold on to them. They cause us to fall in one way or another. If past victories, we tend to become proud and take things for granted, thinking it no problem. If past failures, we tend to have phobia and it becomes a self-fulfilled 'prophecy' for another failure ahead.
Paul is a good example for us to follow. He said, "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead"... regardless of past victories or failures. Our confidence should be in God, not in ourselves, and all glory be to God.
Dear Lord,
Let me not hold on to any past that will cripple me from moving forward. Let have confidence in You and do what You want me to do.
In Your name I ask all these. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
It’s encouraging and comforting to know that because of our hope in Christ, we can stop dwelling in our past or holding on to any past guilt (v13). Since we know God has forgiven us, we can and should move on to a life of faith and obedience; to become what God wants us to be.
But becoming perfect is not an overnight thing, Christian growth is a life-long process (v12). Trying to be or expecting others to be perfect impatiently will only leaves us and others drained and discouraged. Instead, we should press on in the Holy Spirit’s power to live out what we have already learned and live up to what we already know.
And for those who are demanding quick arrivals and instant results from others, we should instead have the patience and gentleness to encourage others to grow at their pace with God’s guidance. This gives great relief and assurance to them when they are genuinely driven to know, obey and grow in the knowledge of God.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Christ’s provision that I should not be sad or discouraged by my own self or those around me to feel that I am so far from perfect, that I’m beyond help and that I’m ruining my life with my current flaws.
But Lord, I pray that You will guide me not to use this as an excuse of not moving forward, to grow in my relationship with You and to allow You to continue filling in any discrepancy between what I am now and what You want me to be. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

