Friday, December 08, 2006

A Gentle Teacher

2 Timothy 2:1-4

1You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others. 3Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer.

2 Timothy 2:24-25

24And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,



Bee's Thoughts:

Today had been another busy and tiring day for me in my office. I had to complete the year end appraisal interviews with all my immediate subordinates by today. It may be difficult to tell some of them about their weaknesses. I had to do it so that they will be able to accept without feeling offended or too disappointed. Thank God for His wisdom in helping me chose the right words to speak, especially for certain one who has failed. At least she felt good that she has learned something constructive from my feedback on her performance.

Dear Lord,
I am not good with words and tend to speak only when it's necessary. I may hurt others by being too direct and transparent with my thoughts. I pray that You will give me wisdom to speak words of comfort to others.
I also pray that tomorrow will be a fruitful day as I join my church members in reaching out to the less fortunates during our 2-days mission trip. Grant us good weather, journey mercy and a great harvest. Open the hearts of these people that they may know Christ and His cleansing power.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.



Tommy's Thoughts:
We may feel agitated or even annoyed by the wrong beliefs others hold, especially those who are close to us. We are troubled by the fact that their belief may affects negatively on them and also our selves. We become harsh and defensive; trying hard to win them to the truth through argument.

But from today’s passage, we learn that as Lord’s servant, we must not quarrel or being resentful when we disagree with others (v24), instead, we can choose to be kind, patience, tactful and gentle when we teach them the rights from wrongs. We should also know that it is not through our effort but God’s grace that grants them the repentance that leads them to His truth (v25).

Dear Father, thank You for showing to me how to be gentle and kind towards those who are yet to know You or willing to listen to Your truth. Lord, forgive me for being uncaring and impatience at times when I try to convince or win others to You. Instead, guide me to be more like Christ each day: being tender, kind, gentle in spirit and lowly in mind when showing others to You and Your way. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.