Wisdom
Prologue: Purpose and Theme
1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young-
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance-
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools [a] despise wisdom and discipline.
Bee's Thoughts:
The Book of Proverbs contains many wise sayings which can guide our lives. It helps the readers to be disciplined and prudent, and to understand the words of insight.
I, for one, need to read the Book of proverbs again so that my simple mind will become wise, and I will have more discretion in dealing with people. Most of all I need to fear God that I may do what is right, for He sees everything.
Dear Lord,
Your word is life. It can save me from destruction. It can help me be wise in doing what is good. Let me meditate upon Your word daily. Let me fear none but You alone, and do what is right in my workplace.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
There are many good Christians out there who are constantly troubled by fear of doing something wrong, something displeasing to God. It can be stressful to try to be as good and wise as we can on our own.
Instead of trying hard to gain His acceptance and be burdened by our own expectation, we can fear the Lord in a way of honoring and respecting Him for who He is and by obeying His Word. When the controlling principle for our understanding of the world, our attitudes and actions is based on our faith and fear in God, we will find it so much easier and simpler to just trust and obey; His commands will be sweeter than honey to our mouth (Psalm 119:103)!
Dear Father, thank You for teaching me today of letting go of any unnecessary ‘cargos’ I have been carrying all these years. Thank You that I can give all these burdens to Jesus and leave them there for Him to manage for me. Teach me to trust Him to work things out perfectly according to Your will for me.
Lord, for this new year, I pray for a more discerning heart- to always do the things that are pleasing in his sight (1 John 3:22). In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

