Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Good That Pain Can Do

1 Peter 4:1-3

Living for God
1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. 2 As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes. —Psalm 119:71


Bee's Thoughts:

My reflection on the simplicity of life for those I helped in my recent One-Day Charity Trip has helped me relate to the above passage better. If not for the experiences of pains in my life before, I might not be able to empathize with the pains others have. Even Jesus himself suffered much pain in order that we can be saved. This is something the Psalmist acknowledged too (Psalm 119:71).

So what good does pain bring? The answer is found in one of my favorite songs, especially during my times of suffering:
I thank You Lord, for the trials that come my way;
In the way I can grow each day, as I let You lead.
And I thank You Lord, for the patience that trials bring,
In surrender of everything, I can learn to give.
But it goes against the way I am,
To put my human nature down,
And let God's Spirit take control of all I am...
(can't remember the rest of the lyric)

Dear Lord,
Once again, thank You for the pain You suffered to save me.
Thank You for the pains I experienced to help me care and give.
Thank You for Your moulding process to make me what You want me to be.
In everything I want to give thanks to You, for You know what's best for me.
Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.


I like the hymn Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus very much. It’s a simple, easy to remember hymn that bring so much meaning and comfort to me when the going gets tough and things become unbearably overwhelming in my life. It reminds me to focus on Jesus, His suffering and His future glory for us as believer. Through this, I began to understand sometimes as Christian, we need to be willing and prepared to do God’s will and to suffer for it if necessary, like Jesus Himself.

A person real value will be revealed clearly during suffering. As followers of Christ, when we hold on and faithfully obey God despite our suffering, we’ll grow much stronger, building and repairing our character and changing our perception radically (James 1:2-8); wrongful pleasures, ambition and desires soon become less important and we’ll be able to truly break free from them.

Dear Lord, thank You for teaching me to turn to Jesus everytime I’m feeling down and out, when things doesn’t go the way I hope for. Help me Lord, not to be tempted to take the shortcuts but to diligently seek Your words to understand Your will for my life; doing what You wants me to do. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy