Snub it Out!
17 Like one who seizes a dog by the ears
is a passer-by who meddles in a quarrel not his own.
18 Like a madman shooting
firebrands or deadly arrows
19 is a man who deceives his neighbor
and says, "I was only joking!"
20 Without wood a fire goes out;
without gossip a quarrel dies down.
21 As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire,
so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife.
22 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
they go down to a man's inmost parts.
23 Like a coating of glaze over earthenware
are fervent lips with an evil heart.
24 A malicious man disguises himself with his lips,
but in his heart he harbors deceit.
25 Though his speech is charming, do not believe him,
for seven abominations fill his heart.
26 His malice may be concealed by deception,
but his wickedness will be exposed in the assembly.
27 If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it;
if a man rolls a stone, it will roll back on him.
28 A lying tongue hates those it hurts,
and a flattering mouth works ruin.
Tommy's Thoughts:
The old saying is very true, if we can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all! Gossip is one of the most unkind and damaging thing a person can silently do behind another. It’s a cruel weapon that serves no other purpose than a selfish way for one to look good by putting others down.
The real problem is not because we do not know gossip is bad, but because we are not aware how easy we ourselves can ‘transmit’ it along sometimes. We need to train our tongue and be careful with our words so that it won’t be used to spread the gossip. When we stop ‘contributing’, the gossip will be able to be snub-out.
Dear Lord, forgive me that at times I also involved in criticizing and ridiculing the flaws and habits of others behind their back. Help me Lord to never do them again knowing how damaging they are to others, doing injustice to a person. As You have said:
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless - James. 1:26
Thank You Lord. I pray all these in Jesus’ name, Amen.Bee's Thoughts:
Yes, our tongues are the most difficult organ to be tamed.
I guess most people use gossip as a way of connecting with others, a common interest in a way. They may or not intentionally try to harm the one whom they gossiped about. Nevertheless, harms can be done, be it to that person's reputation or leaking out secrets.
Another way we might harm others with our tongues is "joking" insensitively. Certain jokes can actually be "Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows" (v18) and hurt someone deeply. It might be too late to say, "I was only joking!" (v19).
Dear Lord,
Thank You for the reminder that I should learn to control my tongue that I will use it to edify and encourage someone, and to praise Your name, instead gossipping or say any insensitive words. Forgive me if I have offended anyone with what I said. Cleanse my lips Lord, right now.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


