True Sacrifice
Timothy and Epaphroditus
19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. 20 I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. 21 For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. 23 I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. 24 And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon.
25 But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs. 26 For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. 27 Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow. 28 Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. 29 Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, 30 because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.
Bee's Thoughts:
I was just talking to a friend today and ended up talking about people who joined the militay force. This friend jokingly (I hope) said that those people who joined the military force are "insane". Hmmn... I am not sure about other countries, but as for SG I am proud of those who are serving in the military. For without them SG wouldn't be as safe as it has been.
Like Timothy and Epaphroditus, such people have sacrifice their lives to do the works that others don't want to do in order that many can have something better. The bible teaches us to "honor" such men (v29). In fact, we should pray for them that they would persevere in what they are doing. I thank God for these people.
Dear Lord,
Thank You for people who are willing to do the 'dirty works' and to sacrifice their life in order to make life better for others. Thank You for the missionaries who have risked their lives in order that others can hear the gospel and be saved. May You continue to strengthen them and give them grace each day. Let me be willing when you call me to do likewise one day.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Sometimes we think that it’s a tall order for us as mere human to be selfless and sacrificial for others. We regard our own lives so important and precious that risking it for others is insane and unthinkable. We believe only God is able to do that, not us. But as we look at today’s passage, Paul, Timothy, and Epaphroditus are three good human examples of godly selfless men, who sacrificed their lives to meet the needs of others. As Thomas Brooks once said “example is the most powerful rhetoric”. These men are good examples for us to learn from and follow in how to give our lives in service to Christ.
We don’t need to have an impressive credentials or accomplishments or talents to shine as lights in the world. God always uses regular people like us to accomplish His goal to touch lives and meeting those in needs. If we have trusted Jesus as our Savior and surrendered our lives to Him, He will guide and provide us with strength and resources to reach out to others. Like Timothy, his zeal for Christ has equipped him to minister to the Philippians. He was a living example of the commandments found in Matthew 22:37-39.
'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself”.
Dear Lord, Thank You for teaching me to quit selfishly guarding my life all the times without going beyond that and use what I have and can to serve others and in service to Christ. Help me not just to tell what I’ve learnt from You but to practice and show it in my life; to be a true and faithful servants of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In His name I pray, Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


