Monday, March 19, 2007

Heart For Others

2 Corinthians 11:22-30

What anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about. 22Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. 23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

30If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.


Reflection of Bee:

Sometimes the greatest enemy can be those closest to us... from within. Paul was in danger from his "own countrymen" and those who pretended to be "brothers", besides the dangers from without (v27). In spite of those dangers, he was concerned for the churches. He recognized his own weaknesses (v29). Yet he knew that his strength came from God despite of them. Therefore he recognized that his victory came from God.

As I reflect on my life, I too had gone through much sufferings, persecution, enemies within, betrayal, 'desertion', 'abandonment', lost of self-esteem, self-doubt, self-hate, even suicidal thoughts. I have had fair share of weaknesses and sins, just like Paul. But I am what I am today because of the grace and mercies of God in my life. Without God, I may not be here today.

Yes, I may still be human and still need to feel human touch, warm and love. Yet I know that humans will be humans and they can be very unreliable, unless God has transformed their lives. Therefore, the only one I can rely on has to be God.... any one that comes along would be a gift from God.


Dear Lord,
As I read the above passage, it reminds me of how You had saved me and saw me through all my life's trials and temptations. I am weak but You are strong. You have kept me from all wrongs. Let me continue to walk with You, Lord. I pray that You will transform my life even more. That I may be someone who can reach out to another who needs to feel human warm and love, instead of hoping to be loved. May Your love rules my life that I may forgive and bless those who have hurt me.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


Reflection of Tommy:

From verse 28-29, we see how Paul not only faced physical threats and dangers; he was also under pressure in worrying about the health of the churches. He was deeply concerned for the members of the churches in their growth and the threats from false teachings that were so prevalent during that time.

If God has bring opportunities for us to lead or guide His people, we should not do it to make us looks better than others, instead do it out of love for them like Paul.

Dear Father, thank You for reminding me to always serve Your people out of love and gratitude for the love You have shown to me. Guide my every words and actions that they are not to glorify myself but You alone; helping and building others up and leading them to Jesus and centering their lives on Him. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.