What is Love?
Love one another
11This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 12Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother's were righteous. 13Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you. 14We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.
16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
Reflection of Bee:
What is love?
Love is to "lay down our lives for our brothers" (v16). It is not just words, but actions and reality (v18).
It may not be so hard to love this way for just ONE person, but to do this for everyone may be a tall order, or seems impossible. Yet that is how God wants us to love our "neighbours".
Love needs to grow and build upon something. We can't love anyone overnight. Can we? To love in such a way we need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives. Perhaps we can't do it at first since we are born selfish. But the Spirit of God can help us to grow to love one or two persons in this way at first. As our capacity to love expands (when we spend time with God) we will learn to love more and more people in this way.
Dear Lord,
I confess that I can't love everyone in the way You do at the moment. But I will learn to love someone in that way as Your Spirit works in my heart and brings that person to me. I pray that I will learn to love more people in that way as I draw love from You. For You are love.
Guide me to those You want me to love in this way.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Reflection of Tommy:
Sometimes it is easier to say we’ll die for someone than to truly live for them. Making daily decision to care for those in need; putting others’ desires before ourselves; be generous in giving our possession, time and energy in service to others without expecting anything in return.
God often bring people into our life, to teach us how to love and care for them. Real love is more than mere words of kindness but involves proactive action and effort to reach out to others in a selfless and sacrificial manner. So, we need to ask the Holy Spirit daily to guide us and teach us to love others genuinely.
Dear Father, thank You for teaching me never to be a murderer at heart (Matthew 5:21,22) but to truly love others the way You love them. Guide my heart that I may never harbor resentment or bitterness towards those who has wronged me. May I love others selflessly and sacrificially always. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.


