Never Hunger
Psalm 23 (Amplified Bible)
A Psalm of David.
1THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.
2He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.(A)
3He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.
4Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with [a]oil; my [brimming] cup runs over.
6Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord [and His presence] shall be my dwelling place.
Reflection of Bee:
I was so thrilled when I saw tonight's passage, as I had been pondering over v1 during my bath before my devotion. So it seems God is confirming with me that I shall not lack or need anything more than I have, regardless of my situation. In fact, when I reflect on the things that God allowed to happen in my life I see God's hands and blessings in disguise.
Yes, whenever I make Jesus "my shepherd" to guide me, I shall not lack. He constantly refreshes me and protects me from harms. Yes he prepares "a table before me in the presence of my enemies". This really takes place. Praise God!
Dear Lord,
I see Your goodness, mercy and love in my life all these years. Thank You very much. I pray again that the things I do, the decisions I make, the words I say will be to Your glory. Guide me, my Shepherd, lead me to Your green pasture.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Reflection of Tommy:
One of the worst tragedies in life is not having what we want. Discontentment is the primary source of unhappiness, frustration and misery. For most people, the things that they want are not bad in themselves and some are actually very good (eg. a better relationship with children, parent, or spouse).
But God wants us to learn to be content now through our fellowship with Him in Christ. He wants us to experience the peace and joy of His presence now, resting in Him, regardless of our circumstances or unfulfilled earthly desires. We need to ask God to open our eyes to see ways we are exchanging His glory for things on earth, resulting in our discontentment.
As Jesus has said "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst" (John 6:35), God wants to fill the emptiness of our heart, all our want and discontentment, with the joy and love of Christ. Not only filling it, He wants to keep pouring until it even overflows to others.
Dear Father, thank You that Jesus has come to give me not only a new life, but to have it abundantly (John 10:10). Teach me to believe and be thankful that I can always have the fullness of joy in Your presence regardless of the circumstances. I choose to obey Jesus' command to abide in His love.
Lord Jesus, I trust You, through me, to keep Your commandments so that I will abide in Your love and have Your joy made full in me. I offer my mind and mouth for use by the Holy Spirit in giving continual thanks with praise, and sharing the love and joy of Christ with others. In Your mighty and precious Name I pray, Amen!

