Getting Even
25Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26"In your anger do not sin"[a]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 5
1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children
Bee's Thoughts:
"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry," (v26).
Whenever I get angry with someone, the Lord's Spirit always remind me of the above verse, and I have to tell myself I need to settle whatever dispute before I go to sleep. Otherwise, the devil will accuse me and make me his victim of condemnation.
Tonight, I am also reminded that even if I am angry with someone, I should not let unwholesome words out of my mouth (v29).
Dear Lord,
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight. Let me speak words of encouragement and life in all situations.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
John Wesley said that as he studied the scriptures his “heart was strangely warmed”. As believers, we sometimes experience similar comforting and peaceful warmth sensation in our hearts during reading of God’s Word, prayers or worship. It is because the Holy Spirit is working within us, guiding our thoughts and minds through His gentle whisper (1 Kings 19:12) and showing to us we belong to God (v30).
Since the Spirit is within us, we can grieve Him by the reckless way we live our lives. Paul teaches us to be watchful of any unwholesome thoughts and words, bitterness, improper use of anger, brawling, slander and bad attitudes towards others. Instead, we should always act in love with forgiving attitudes, caring words that build others up, benefiting them according to their needs (v29).
Dear Father, thank You for Your love and forgiveness by sending Jesus to die for my sins. Teach me Lord to act the same in love to others and not grieving the Holy Spirit with my bad and uncaring attitudes. Lord, make me aware always of every opportunity to show Your kind of love, kindness and gentleness to those in needs. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

