Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Heartprints



Acts 9:36-43

36In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas[a]), who was always doing good and helping the poor. 37About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room. 38Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, "Please come at once!"

39Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.

40Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, "Tabitha, get up." She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. 41He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called the believers and the widows and presented her to them alive. 42This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord. 43Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon.


Bee's Thoughts:

Prayers can change things, yet we often forget to pray, instead try to solve issues with our own strength.

Yesterday, my colleagues told me he discovered that he lost his wallet when he reached home from work. It contents all his ID, driving license, his money, bank car, visa, and also the school fees he had collected from his students (more than $600). He was quite worried. I told him to pray and I assured him God would help him find it back, as I personally had such experience before. Indeed, he found his wallet in his office with all his things intact. Praise God!

Tonight, I feel very tired tonight and stressed by workload. On my way home I felt so sad as I recalled the things that happened to me lately... I felt very lonely and wish I can disappear immediately.

Tonight's devotion reminds me again that I should kneel down and pray and then wait to see miracles happen, just like in Paul's case.


Lord,
I am weak but You are strong.
Jesus, keep me from all wrongs.
I'll be satisfied as long,
as I walk, let me walk close to You.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.




Tommy's Thoughts:

We often admired people like Paul and Peter for their great gifts and faith in preaching God’s Word. We might be thinking God’s works are not for us and only for these truly gifted people of God.

From today’s passage, we learned that God also uses people like Dorcas who has the gifts of kindness to do His work. Instead of wishing we had other gifts, we should make good use of the gifts God has given us and allow God to use us in great ways.

Dear Father, thank You for the message today that reminds me to make good use of the gifts You has given to me. Teach me to be sensitive of the needs of others and always be ready to reach out and serve when You call me to. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.