Not “Why?” But “Who?”
詩 篇 42 (Chinese Union Version (Simplified))
1 ( 可 拉 後 裔 的 训 诲 诗 , 交 与 伶 长 。 )
神 啊 , 我 的 心 切 慕 你 , 如 鹿 切 慕 溪 水 。
2 我 的 心 渴 想 神 , 就 是 永 生 神 ; 我 几 时 得 朝 见 神 呢 ?
3 我 昼 夜 以 眼 泪 当 饮 食 ; 人 不 住 地 对 我 说 : 你 的 神 在 哪 里 呢 ?
4 我 从 前 与 众 人 同 往 , 用 欢 呼 称 赞 的 声 音 领 他 们 到 神 的 殿 里 , 大 家 守 节 。 我 追 想 这 些 事 , 我 的 心 极 其 悲 伤 。
5 我 的 心 哪 , 你 为 何 忧 闷 ? 为 何 在 我 里 面 烦 躁 ? 应 当 仰 望 神 , 因 他 笑 脸 帮 助 我 ; 我 还 要 称 赞 他 。
6 我 的 神 啊 , 我 的 心 在 我 里 面 忧 闷 , 所 以 我 从 约 但 地 , 从 黑 门 岭 , 从 米 萨 山 记 念 你 。
7 你 的 瀑 布 发 声 , 深 渊 就 与 深 渊 响 应 ; 你 的 波 浪 洪 涛 漫 过 我 身 。
8 白 昼 , 耶 和 华 必 向 我 施 慈 爱 ; 黑 夜 , 我 要 歌 颂 祷 告 赐 我 生 命 的 神 。
9 我 要 对 神 ─ 我 的 磐 石 说 : 你 为 何 忘 记 我 呢 ? 我 为 何 因 仇 敌 的 欺 压 时 常 哀 痛 呢 ?
10 我 的 敌 人 辱 骂 我 , 好 像 打 碎 我 的 骨 头 , 不 住 地 对 我 说 : 你 的 神 在 哪 里 呢 ?
11 我 的 心 哪 , 你 为 何 忧 闷 ? 为 何 在 我 里 面 烦 躁 ? 应 当 仰 望 神 , 因 我 还 要 称 赞 他 。 他 是 我 脸 上 的 光 荣 ( 原 文 是 帮 助 ) , 是 我 的 神 。
Bee's Thoughts:
As I read the above passage and made them mine, I just felt so close to God. It seems that every word in the Psalm rings a bell in my experiences. I really love the Book of Psalms as it always help me express my deep seated feelings. They help me know my state of mind, to feel my inner self, and to pray to God in the right way. It helps me have the right attitude like King David in times of discouragement and stress.
I like the Chinese version for verse 1: "神 啊 , 我 的 心 切 慕 你 , 如 鹿 切 慕 溪 水 。" It's uses an exclamation mark when calling out to God (神 啊), which shows a deeper emotion. That's how I am feeling and I want to cry unto God.
Despite his deep emotional distress, the psalmist declared, "应 当 仰 望 神 , 因 他 笑 脸 帮 助 我 ; 我 还 要 称 赞 他" (v5). Yes, despite my feelings I still want to look to God and praise Him, for He is my help.
Dear Lord,
I long and thirst for You too like the psalmist. I wish I am with You physically now. But You say I must be patient and wait for that day to come. Meanwhile You are with me in Spirit and I can feel You whenever I be still before You.
I pray that You will give me strength to stay true in obedience to You. Let me rest well tonight as I need to work tomorrow and need Your wisdom to speak rightly.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Often we feel defeated and lost by our inability to help our selves in a situation. We became depressed when things don’t seem to improve or change to the better. But as Christian, we should instead meditate and focus our mind unto God and His goodness to His people.
Reading Psalm 42, is like taking antidepressant when we are feeling down and overwhelmed by our situation. We’ll learn that God will supply us with the strength, peace, and hope to endure and persevere. No matter how bleak the current situation may be, we’ll have the assurance that He will take good care of us and will works things out for good eventually if we were to obey and follow Him.
Dear Father, thank You for Your love and peace that guards my heart when I felt helpless and lost. Thank You for Your grace and forgiveness that allows me to start anew, lifting me up when I fall. Lord, I pray You’ll continue to guide my path, giving me the wisdom and patience to follow and obey You in love. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.


