Monday, November 13, 2006

True Victory

2 Corinthians 4:7-18

7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. 12So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

13It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken."[a]With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, 14because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you in his presence. 15All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.

16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


Bee's Thoughts:

Somehow every word written above in v8 & v9 seems to be describing my condition today. As I read them, I just want to cry...it's like someone correctly pinpoint what I have been going through.
"hard pressed on every side, but not crushed" - too much workload to handle and felt like giving way anytime... yet I know God's hands are supporting me

"persecuted, but not abandoned" - I felt wrongly accused at work recently... but I know God didn't abandon me

"perplexed, but not in despair" - what someone said to me last night made me very perplexed and confused, and I felt like crying but couldn't... yet God is in control

"struck down, but not destroyed" - the same words spoken to me were like thunder striking me down, I felt 'dead', and felt like a zombie today... yet I am not destroyed.

Dear Lord,
Thank You for Your encouraging words tonight. I sense You are telling me to be strong, for all these sufferings I have now are light compared to the glory I shall receive when I pass these tests. Thank You for You assurance tonight. Keep me trusting in You Lord. Hold me tight that I may not fall.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


Tommy's Thoughts:
“Light and momentary troubles”. It’s hard to agree that whatsoever problems we are facing now is nothing and insignificant compares to some yet unseen glory in our future. But, if we were to put our selves into Paul’s shoes, we’ll see our problems are indeed nothing compares to the sufferings he had gone through while preaching the Good News.

Paul was able to make the statement because he focused not on his current trials but on his ultimate goal and hope of an eternal life with God, where all sorrow, pain and suffering ends and flee away. Instead of focusing on our trials, we should set our eyes on our ultimate goal and eternal reward and see our troubles as opportunities for God to demonstrate His power in our lives.

Dear Father, thank You for Your comforting words of strength, hope and direction. Lord, guide me to focus on the ultimate goal I have in You, renewing my commitment to serve You and obeying all Your commands. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.