Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Agree to Disagree Agreeably

Matthew 10:13-14

13 If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.
Acts 15:36-41
36 Some time later Paul said to Barnabas, "Let us go back and visit the brothers in all the towns where we preached the word of the Lord and see how they are doing." 37 Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, 38 but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. 39 They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company. Barnabas took Mark and sailed for Cyprus, 40 but Paul chose Silas and left, commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord. 41 He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.

Tommy's Thoughts:
Lately a close Christian friend of mine “came back“to God after being away from Him for some time. As I think back the time when my friend was giving up, I was there encouraging and explaining the promises, hopes and all the other good things about God, to convince her to stay. Sometime, I made the matters worst by heatedly defending God and ended up arguing with my friend. Sometime, the argument was so bad that both of us didn’t talk to each other for some time.

I have tried all kind of ways to talk, to explain, to persuade but nothing seems to work. I acted this way solely because I sincerely care and concern for my friend and I know being away from God too long is dangerous. Despite all the disagreements, we still remain as good friend and I did pray constantly for her to return to God. Then, a week ago, an incidence brought her back to God. She started to thank God and trust in Him again. Praise the Lord!

I admit that there were times I was tempted to feel really disappointed and depressed over my failures. But Jesus said “Shake the dust off your feet and move on.“ I realized now that sometime after we have tried our very best, God might ask us to move on by not being burdened. We need to agree to disagree agreeably with the other person without feeling depressed or letting it to bear us down. Our mightily creative God perhaps will send another person to reap where we've sown or like my friend, by allowing certain circumstances to bring His children back to his side.

.......the devotion of Tommy