Thursday, November 03, 2005

Yoke Mate


Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Tommy's Thoughts:
Over the years, I realized that the most obvious change in my life is the weight of the load I used to carry on my shoulder. I was at the lowest point in my life with enormous weight and burden of sorrow, worry, anger, hopelessness, depression, guilt and stress.

I had put upon these weights myself. I attempted to carry too much stuff, brought along too many things, excess emotional, mental and physical baggage stooping my every posture. I robbed joy from my life, that fatigued my journey and I’d lost a clear view of life's beauty along the way. My future and goal seemed bleak, far off and nearly unreachable; and there was no hope.

And then, Jesus came, with His gentle and humble heart, invited me to trade with Him the load. Jesus offers “You take mine and I'll take yours”. The verse says His yoke is “easy” (Greek word means “well-fitting”); a good yoke that will be kind to the shoulders, carefully shaped for us; enabling us to carry the load more easily. I believe Jesus is also inviting us to be His yoke mate; to learn how to pull the load by working beside Him and watching how He do it. The heavy load will seem lighter when we allow Him to help us lifting it up together.

Thank you Jesus for your gentle and humble heart; to carry for us our burden, lift and lightens them along our life’s journey with a promise of hope for the future and joy for today. Amen.

.......the devotion of Tommy