Thursday, August 03, 2006

Whom shall we go?

John 6:60-69

Many Disciples Desert Jesus
60On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

61Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? 62What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit[a] and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."

66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

67"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.

68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Tommy's Thoughts:

I’ve come across many non-believers who viewed Christianity as convoluted and unnecessarily complicated. They prefer religion that is ‘easy’, ‘feels good’, and ‘accommodating’; things they like to hear or comfortable with; no difficult commands that restrict what they wanted to do. To them, Christian’s teachings are constraining and impossible for anyone to follow. While thinking about their statements, I realized I myself had the same perception before I’m a Christian.

I remembered it was God himself who came into my life and changes my heart. As I submit and humble myself to Him, He made all those teachings, which I used to think as ridiculous, became so simple and made so much more sense than anything I’ve learned. I began wanting to live a new life, devoted to Him and honestly wanted to understand more of all His teachings.

In verse 65, Jesus said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." We see that it is the Holy Spirit who gives us spiritual lives; without His work we will never see the need for a new life (John 14:17). It is God who reveals truth to us, lives within us, and enables us to respond to that truth.

By following and obeying God’s teachings, we’ll find things in life are clearer and simpler; giving us strength, courage, peace and hope in every circumstances. I can’t think of a better way to live our lives than to follow Him, like what Peter said in verse 68-69: "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Dear Father, thank You for enabling me to submit myself to Christ. Thank You for bringing me to know and understand Your truth. Teach me to understand more of Your teachings and to apply them in my life. I would like to pray for all those who yet to know Christ, that You’ll extend Your grace and mercy to them, bringing them to You and Your truth. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.



Bee's Thoughts:

When Jesus spoke the truth many could not accept it and they left Him.

It is no different today. People prefer the easy way out and things that are to their advantage, even if it means being unfair to the others. I encountered such group of people at my working place recently. When fairness is being sought, which means changes for this group of people, they are unhappy and even threatened to leave. *sigh*

When I was younger, there were times satan put thoughts in my heart to leave Jesus too. But the same question came to my mind each time,
"Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God." (v68,69)

Dear Lord,
Thank You that I can come to You always and that You are here for me. I pray that You will remind me to always pray before I make a decision. May I receive Your peace before I act. Guide and direct my path as I acknowledge Your soveregnity.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen