Be Still And Know
1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah
8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields [b] with fire.
10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah
Tommy's Thoughts:
In his best-selling book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey talked about how it’s better to manage ourselves rather than managing time. He suggested we should make it a habit daily to do what matters most, not what matters least. To sit down and think of what we can do best and to do them more, to sharpen the saw, equipping us to handle any urgent and important things in the future in a more manageable way, thus cutting down our stress and making us more effective.
I was talking to my good friend yesterday about how incredibly busy she was lately. This coming weekend, she even needs to attend courses from 8am to 6pm both Saturday and Sunday. I didn’t fare that well either. There are many incomplete works floating around; places I need to go to, appointments and preparations to be made. In the midst of all these busyness, we sometime forget to do what matters most in our lives: to take time for God.
This devotion, for example, has helped me to quiet my heart and be still daily, to make time for God, to listen to what He has to say to me and to know Him personally. There is nothing matters more than to know our loving God who lives within us; our refuge, strength, ever-present help (v1) and fortress (v11).
Dear Lord, thank You for teaching me to focus my thoughts on You, to worship and exalt You daily. Thanks for Your grace that I am able to learn and understand Your truths and to apply them into my everyday life. Through this quiet time, You have mold me to be a more effective and equipped disciple of Christ, to bring glory and honor to You in everything I do. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
related post on taking time for God
Bee's Thoughts:
The title of tonight's devotion jumped at me, causing my heart to skip a beat. I know God wants me to "be still and know".
Actually, I just got home from a 2.5 hour long job interview wth a panel of preschool committee. It was my 2nd round with them. I wasn't very sure if I wish to take up the offer since what they could afford to pay me would be about the same as what I am already getting now. Why should I change preschool then? I could see the potential of growth in this preschool I am contemplating to join and the services I could render. The committee would contact me next week as to whether they could accede to my request.
Pay aside, I felt bad to leave my present preschool since this is the time it needs me the most. There is already a shortage of staff due to 2 staff resignations and one going on long medical leave. The worse thing is the preschool is about to have a licensing inspection soon. I am in a dilemma...
It's so comforting to hear God says:
"Be still, and know that I am God;I need to quieten my heart and listen to God, to allow Him to speak to my heart regarding what I should do. The decision I choose should glorify God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth." (v10)
Dear Lord,
Speak to my heart and let me know Your will for me. May I choose the path that You want me to take that Your name might be glorified. Speak to the committee too if You want me to be working with them. Let Your peace be in my heart if that's Your will.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


