Friday, February 10, 2006

Dearly Children Of Light


Ephesians 5:1-13

1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible,

Tommy's Thoughts:

I happened to chance upon this passage twice today. God is probably trying to tell me something about how to live and maintain a life as children of light. Maybe it’s because God knows I spend most of my time everyday with non-believers; at work and at home. How I might conform, condone and approve certain behaviors of those few who have unhealthy lifestyle. Like how I might treat obscenity and coarse joking lightly, as common things to do; taking them for granted and doing them to gain acceptance.

Empty conversation and improper language does nothing to reflect our faith or to build others or our self up. Worst, our behaviors will make others unable to see God’s gracious presence in us, even hindering them to be lead to Christ.

In verse 3, Paul spoke about as Christian; there must not be even a hint of immorality like lust, hate, envy, pride, impatience, or bitterness in our lives. To do this, we must allow God to mold and work in us, to give us strength when we are weak, to convict and remind us when we are wrong, to warn us when we are impatient and losing control, to provide us an exit when we are tempted, to give us hope and assurance when we are discouraged or sad, and to lead us to the right path when we are lost.

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me today as children of light, I need to start living as one. Thank You also for guiding me, teaching me in ways, to live above reproach morally; reflecting Your goodness to others. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

To "live a life of love" (v1) is what God wants Christians to do. I thought I have already known the meaning of love... but now I feel I still don't really know it's deep meaning yet.

Must the "love" God wants us to have for others be unromantic? Then isn't the word "compassion" a more appropriate term to use instead? I have gradually lost that romantic feeling I once have... I have suppressed it for good so that I won't get hurt again. Is this what God wants of me? I am not sure now. Yes, I still care for others, provide assistance and a listening ear when needed. Is that love or compassion? I don't know which term to use now... I just know I do care. Is that healthy?

If love means laying down my life for someone like Jesus did, then I have not loved yet... maybe one day I will... till then, I have not truly loved I suppose.

"Let no one deceive you with empty words" (v6)... words are cheap, actions are precious. If we say we care for someone, what actions have we done to show that care? When we promise something to someone, do we carry it out or KIV it 'till thy kingdom come'? Words by themselves are "empty" till actions follow.

Dear Lord,
I felt weary today... I heard many words... many many words, with no action. I got confused by "empty words"... I have lost faith in what certain people say. Help me lift up my eyes upon You again... for Your words are always true, Your words are never empty.

I confess I don't fully understand the meaning of love... perhaps I have never loved, but only have compassion... perhaps I have not experienced love too, other than the love You gave. I lift up my hands to You in surrender now... take my life and let me be what You will.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy