Monday, February 06, 2006

What Is The Bible For?

2 Timothy 3:14-17

14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


Bee's Thoughts:

There are many types of Christian denominations, therefore, also many types of Christians too. I often heard the comment: The Charismatic Christians have experiences but no depth in the Bible, while the non-Charismatic Christians have depth in the Bible but no experience or power to live a victorious life.

Why can't a Christian have both? I believe God wants Christians to have both the depth in the Bible as well as the experiences in the power of the Holy Spirit. Only in this way can one be strong to withstand all trials and temptations of life.

As a young Christian, I was taught that reading the Bible daily is very important for any serious Christian. For the Bible can make one "wise for salvation" (v15); it is "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (v16). Without knowing the truth found in the Bible one would be led astray by all kinds of teaching and doctrines.

In my experience as Christian, the Holy Spirit always reminds me of the Bible verses I have read at the right time so that I may not fall away from God or sin against Him. His word is life actually... it is able to save me from many things in life. Thank God for the Bible!

Tommy's Thoughts:

Since small, I believe there is a God. But, being brought up from a non-Christian family, I do not know anything about the Bible or Jesus. My knowledge of who God was based solely on my observation and experience of His creations and my own conscience. It was also a one-way communication with the god I believe in at that time. I have totally no idea what He wanted or expected from us; aside from being generally good and performing rituals obediently to save myself from punishment and bad luck.

The first time I read the Bible was out of curiosity before I’m a Christian. I told myself it’s impossible for me to understand this “history” book and what those Christian believe in; it was utterly irrelevant and an unnecessary complication to life. Now, as I read 1 Corinthians 2:14, I understand why I felt that way, how I unable to grasp the spiritual treasures and truths of the Scripture back then:

“The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned” - 1 Corinthians 2:14

After I’ve accepted Christ, I began to see how precious and valuable the Bible is. Every passage suddenly jumped to life when I read them. I used to be puzzled over this, but as I read 1 Corinthians 2:9-10, I understand how when we are born again, we will receive the illumining ministry of the Holy Spirit, enabling us to understand the Bible effectively.

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him. But God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.” - 1 Corinthians 2:9-10

Dear Lord, thank You for enabling me to understand Your words. Thank You that the Holy Spirit lives within me, illumining my mind, encouraging my heart, and strengthening my will and faith. Help me to use the knowledge I received to do good and Christ’s work in the world. Amen.

Also read our previous post on the Bible...

.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy