Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Baby Christians?


Hebrews 5:12-14

12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Bee's Thoughts:

The above passage sounds harsh, yet that's a sad fact that many Christians remain as 'infant' spiritually even though they have known Christ for many years. They remain so because they do not study the word of God and get swayed easily by all kinds of doctrines, not knowing the truth themselves. Some have put their faith in men instead of God. So when they see a 'spiritual leader' fall they also fall away.

Over the years, I realise that reading God's word is so important if I want to stay strong in my faith, despite of people and circumstances around me. As human as I am, when I am in doubts God's word always come in to reasure me.

Dear Lord,
Let me continue to grow in my faith in You. Let me be vigilant of false doctrines and not fall prey in any way. I am getting busier with my work now and it can be tempting to skip reading Your word at times. Give me strength to keep my time with You Lord. I ask for Your wisdom, guidiance and blessing in the things I do at work. May I shine as light in whatever do.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


Tommy's Thoughts:

Lately, I can see how the Da Vinci Code craze brought about some positive initiatives by churches to educate the people in separating the truth from fiction. It’s like a wake-up call and opportunity for the ministry and all believers to equip themselves with God’s truth to spread the Good News to those who are new, uncertain or curious about the Christian’s faith.

Commitment to Christ does require us to move out of our comfort zones, to be a life changing individual by practicing and teaching others what we have learned. Instead of trying to blend in and compromise with popular cultures or being merely a lukewarm believer, it involves a radical paradigm shift in all aspects of our life. It moves us to grow spiritually, to be a mature Christian and be ready to go out to proclaim God’s truth and touches the lives of others.

But in order to grow, we first need to learn discernment, with the help of the Holy Spirit living within us. We should train our consciences, senses, minds and bodies to distinguish right from wrong, and good from evil. Our capacity to understand and absorb the deeper knowledge of God (solid food) depends on our spiritual growth. By constantly seeking to learn and understand His words and practicing them, we will find our capacity to understand also increases, thus, helping us to avoid pitfalls and prepare us for spreading the Good News to others.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your constant guidance in my life’s journey; helping me to learn, understand, grow and be renewed through Jesus Christ. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.