The Bread of Life
Jesus the Bread of Life
25When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?"
26 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."
28 Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."
30 So they asked him, "What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? 31 Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"
32 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."
34 "Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread."
35 Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
Tommy's Thoughts:
There is an in-built and wired desire in many sincere seekers to please an almighty God, to know His will and to do all the necessary works He requires (v28). The religions of the world are attempts by man to provide answer to exactly what these works really are to its followers.
It is a system that relies entirely on the belief that we can make ourselves holy, blameless and acceptable to God through doing kind, charitable things and following rules and rituals. We hope those works will somehow cleanse us from our sins and failings.
It was when I first get to know about Christianity, that I saw a stark difference in it with the religions of the world. I began to understand how vague, futile and uncertain my old belief system was. There is never any convincing assurance and peace that your so-called works will be good enough.
Jesus in one simple but important statement answered "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." (v29). It need us first to put aside our pride, ego and self-sufficient nature, to acknowledge and believe who Jesus is and how He can change us to be a better person from inside out, not by ourselves.
Our spiritual growth and development will only then be effectively “coached” and guided by God himself upon this affirmation. And, this is the life of belief that is truly satisfying to our Creator.
Dear Heavenly Father, forgive me that many times I hit a dead end when I went totally on my own. Thank You for teaching me to acknowledge who Jesus is: the Son of the living God (Matthew 16:16) and also my bread of life (v35).
Lord Jesus, I invite You into my daily walk, help me to grow and sustain my spiritual life with You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
I have a high metabolism rate and need to eat a lot, yet people always commented that I need to eat more (too skinny). I wished I can don't feel hungry and don't have to eat anymore. Well, that's not possible in the physical sense.
In the spiritual sense, this is possible. For Jesus said, "He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." (v35). Yes, Jesus quenched my spiritual hunger and thirst which are normally in the guise of emotional emptiness. Whenever I am willing to go to Christ at my time of loneliness, He always fill my heart with love, joy and peace.
Dear Lord,
Thank You for filling my spirit and soul with Yourself. Truly You are my Bread of Life. Amen.


