Unchained By The Cross
33 They came to a place called Golgotha (which means The Place of the Skull). 34 There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it. 35 When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots. 36 And sitting down, they kept watch over him there. 37 Above his head they placed the written charge against him: THIS IS JESUS, THE KING OF THE JEWS. 38 Two robbers were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. 39 Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads 40 and saying, "You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!"
41 In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. 42 "He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself! He's the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.' " 44 In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.
The Death of Jesus
45 From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
47 When some of those standing there heard this, they said, "He's calling Elijah."
48 Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. 49 The rest said, "Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to save him."
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
Bee's Thoughts:
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (v46)
At one point of my life I cried out to God in that exact same question. It was the darkest moment of my life. I almost wanted to give up living. I felt lost and lonely, and I have no one to turn to for help.
Then I heard a small still voice that said, "My child, I did not forsake you. I am here always besides you. You just need to come to me and rest. I will carry you through."
Tears rolled down my cheek and I felt so assured and secured again in God's love.
Yes, when we honestly tell God what's in our heart without pretense, God is always there to listen and comfort, no matter how we may feel.
Dear Lord Jesus,
It's so terrible to feel forsaken. It's so painful and the hurt never go away. You had willingly went through it on my behalf that from now on I will never have to feel forsaken again.
Yes, men can forsake me but not You. You are always there, You are just a prayer away.
Thank You. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Like the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders, we may unknowingly share their same spirit of unbelief that Christ is our Saviour, that the Cross is enough and sufficient to save and cleanse us from our sin.
We doubt and linger with thoughts that there is something else missing and needed to further ensure our forgiveness and to start anew our relationship with God. There are still many today who are trapped in this lie, a dangerous lie that both discredit what Christ has done and stun our growth to be a mature Christian.
Dear Lord, thank You for showing to me what Christ has done is enough to forgive all my wrongs and failures, to heal all my brokenness, to enable me to let go and be unchained from my past and to give me a new life in You. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.


