Can We Rejoice?
17 Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.
For the director of music. On my stringed instruments.
Bee's Thoughts:
"Can We Rejoice?", asked the author of tonight's Daily Bread.
My immediate response to that in my heart is a "No!" I am crying within, not rejoicing. I feel so tired in every ways.
Then I read the passage above... every word in verse 17 seems to speak about me. That's exactly how I feel now...
"the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls"
God seems to be testing my faith now. Can I Rejoice? Can I really do?
I pondered... I hasitated... then I read verse 18...
"yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior."
I need to rejoice... I have to rejoice.... I want to rejoice. That's what my heart said to me, or perhaps God said to me.
Why? Not because I am strong, but because...
"The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights."
Dear Lord,
By myself, I can't rejoice in what I am experiencing now. On my own, I will fall... for I am really very tired and exhausted in many ways. I am burning out...
Yet, like what the Psalmist said, I will rejoice in You. You give me strength to go on the next lap, You sustain me, cheer me on... A while more I shall reach my destination... I shall reach the 'shore'.
Thank You for always lifting me up whenever I am about to fall.
Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
God knows our every trial, hardship and every tear we shed. And, He promised to be with us, to lift us up when we fall, to heal and renew us when we are broken or sick, to give us strength and peace to move on. There are many passages in the Bible that teaches us to trust God and rejoice during these trying situations.
Most of the times, it’s hard and almost impossible to rejoice, but it can be God trying to tell us something significant and important through those situations. It might be a habit He wanted us to break, an attitude in us He wanted to change, a test to prepare us for something in the future, or a way for Him to let us see what matters more in life.
During our grief or struggle, we can learn trusting His care and promises by first seeking and focusing on Him, rather solely on our problem. God, who is faithful, will never fail to speak to us, giving us a clearer understanding and insight to our problem. We will find and experience true reason to rejoice in Him.
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that You knows what’s best for me. Thank You for guiding me through difficult and trying situations; to change, renew and build my character; to be a better person. Lord, teach me to seek and trust You always for strength, patience and peace, faithfully and joyfully follow and obey Your commands and leading in life. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


