Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Welcome Criticism


Proverbs 9:1-10

Invitations of Wisdom and of Folly

1 Wisdom has built her house;
she has hewn out its seven pillars.

2 She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine;
she has also set her table.

3 She has sent out her maids, and she calls
from the highest point of the city.

4 "Let all who are simple come in here!"
she says to those who lack judgment.

5 "Come, eat my food
and drink the wine I have mixed.

6 Leave your simple ways and you will live;
walk in the way of understanding.

7 "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult;
whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse.

8 Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you;
rebuke a wise man and he will love you.

9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Tommy's Thoughts:

A mocker normally responds by quickly tossing back put-down and clever retort when rebuked or criticised. Because of their over-inflated ego and pride, they rob themselves from gaining new understanding and wisdom through constructive criticisms by others.

A wise person is slow to talk but good at listening to what is being said. They learn from their critics, knowing it will lead to the path of greater understanding and wisdom.

True wisdom begins with knowing God (v10). There are no better ways to be a wise person than first seeking and getting to know God, for He created life and gives insight into living. To know God personally, we need to humble ourselves by seeking Him always, to stand in awe of Him and to have a deep, meaningful relationship with Him.

Dear Father, thank You for teaching me to learn listening to others before everything else and to always focus on issues at hand rather than on the person. Guide me Lord to be willing to give heed to other’s words of reproof, to accept, admit and change if I’m wrong or at fault. Teach me also to never stop seeking and knowing You better, my true Source and path to wisdom. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

I have been thinking for a long time about verse 10 and wonder what is the difference between wisdom and understanding? Aren't they the same thing? According to TheFreeDictionary:
"understanding - the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination"

"wisdom - ability to apply knowledge or experience or understanding or common sense and insight"

So verse 10 is saying that when we know God, we will receive the "capacity for rational" thinking and judgement. And when we have reverent "fear" for God , we will have the "ability to apply" what we know.

To know a person well we need to spend much time with the person regularly. When we don't, gradually we will lose touch with that person and our knowledge of him/her might not be that accurate or current. It's the same for knowing God. We need to read the bible and spend time with God everyday in order to know Him.

Applying what we know means taking actions, or obey. When we obey what we know from the bible (the word of God) that's wisdom.

Dear Lord,
I want to obey Your word that I may receive Your wisdom to do what's right... what to say and how to react to people and situations. I acknowledge I am poor in that and often lack wisdom.
Right now I pray that You will still my heart, calm my soul, and quicken my spirit. As I lay down to sleep tonight, let me have a peaceful rest. May I feel Your warm love surrounds me.
Amen.