Spiritual Training
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
Tommy's Thoughts:
It took me few years before decided to take my professional practice examination. Partly because I didn’t see any need or good reason to take it and I don’t have the spare time for preparation. It requires a lot of my time, energy, concentration and hard work in order to do well in it. After persuaded by few of my friends I finally decided to take it with the reason that I maybe needing it in the future.
With a clear goal to avoid resitting the exam, wasting more money and time, I disciplined myself to focus on it seriously, diligently making good use of every seconds left to grasp and equip myself.
As Christian, the same can be said about our race toward our heavenly reward. Winning the race requires a clear purpose in our heart (in pleasing God and receive the imperishable heavenly reward), discipline (daily prayers, Bible study, devotion, worship), hard work, self-denial, and preparation.
Dear Lord, thank You for giving me a clear finish line to run to. There is nothing matters more than Your promises and hope given to us. Teach me to train diligently as my spiritual progress depends upon it. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
During my school days, I joined many kinds of CCA (Co-Curricular Activities) such as: basketball, netball, volleyball, table-tenis, band, athletic, and clubs. I had to attend lots of trainings. All those I did them with one aim in mind - to win the "prize".
At work, I intiated changes and improvement strategies. I was very focused, self-motivated, and worked very hard. I like challenges and get bored when I could do my work too well. I never stop learning new things.
In my spiritual life, I tried not to miss any church service unless I am very sick. I tried hard to do what the bible teaches but failed, as I tried to do them by my own strength, like how I did at school and work. Then I learnt that I need to let the Holy Spirit work in my life instead of me doing it.
Doing devotion and praying, and attending church services is part of spiritual training. At times, our body may be too tired and wants to skip the devotion, prayer time or church services. This where what Paul said comes into effect, "I beat my body and make it my slave" (v27)... mind and spirit over body.
Dear Lord,
Let me not be tired in my spiritual training. Let me continue running the race for a little while more till I reach my destination. I pray for my fellow Christians that they will run with me and will not get tired too. Let us not forget the "prize" that is awaiting for us.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


