Sunday, May 14, 2006

A Mother's Love

Proverbs 31:26-31

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Tommy's Thoughts:

It’s fascinating what a mother can do for her children. As I listened to them and of my own, I’ve found one similar trait among them; they posses an incredible and relentless force that drive them to give the best to their children. They will go in length to ensure that their children are secured in all areas of their lives, presently and also in the future.

The love of a mother to her children is the best example of the kind of love revealed by Christ. The agape love: a love that is unconditional, selfless and spiritual: an ultimate model for all humanity. Through her undying dedication and self-sacrificing nature, we received from mother the love, warmth and care that mean more than the world to us.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for blessing me with a wonderful and incredible mother. Despite the responsibility of playing a dual role, she never stops, complains or even tired in ensuring everything is well for us, giving us a warm and loving home.

Lord, in Your great mercy looking down from above, grant this dear mother of mine the gift of Your love and also Your salvation one day. Teach and show me also Lord the way to lighten her daily tasks, brighten her day and gladden her heart with words and kindness. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

Tonight's devotion brings me much sorrow again... I felt choked as I wrote Mama Hao.

No, a mother's love has never been compared to God's love in the bible. In fact, the bible says in Isaiah 49:15-16:
"Can a woman forget her nursing child
And have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.
"Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;
Your walls are continually before Me.

Yes, in God's plan and design, a mother is supposed to be full of love and compassion for her child like what Tommy described above. Yet with the fall of men, a mother may forget her child, curse her child or even kill her child (physically or emotionally). It's very sad. No one will ever understand the long term harm such actions have on a child, even when he/she turns into an adult, unless one has been in it before.

The above passage in Proverbs 31 can only happen when a woman is fully submitted to God. Then she will be a good wife and a good mother. She will bring honour to her husband and children, and everyone is proud of her.


Dear Lord,
You know how I am feeling now... I want to cry.
Thank You that even though a mother can forsake me, yet You never will.
Thank You that You have found me and given me the love I so desperately needed.
Thank You that You are my Abba Father.
Thank You that each time I cried silently You heard me and embraced me in Your arms.
Words cannot express my gratitude to You. I owe my life to You Lord.
May You transform me into the woman You want me to be.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.