Thursday, May 04, 2006

What there's to learn?

Job 2:7-10

7 So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. 8 Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

9 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!" 10 He replied, "You are talking like a foolish [a] woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Tommy's Thoughts:

How long will we hold on to God when tragedy strikes? How much will we endure before throwing in the towel? Many think believing in God guarantees a life without trouble and hardship. When calamity comes, they question God’s goodness and fairness. They feel betrayed and let down by God, thinking they do not deserve any suffering because of all the good they have done.

But, our faith is tested through suffering. Without any test, there would be no room for our faith to grow. We need to change our perspective when dealing with suffering, from feeling victimized and doubting God, to trusting His faithfulness for not letting us to be tempted beyond what we can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13) and willing to seek any lesson we might be able to learn from the situation.

Dear Lord, it’s hard sometimes when problems and frustrations never seem to go away or turn any better. But Lord, I trust and know there are good reasons You allow them to persistently hang about in my life, despite all the effort I’ve done to resolve them. It might be something important that I’ve yet to understand or something vital to change my attitude and to build my character.

Guide me Lord to seek and listen to You everyday, asking the Holy Spirit to give me a deeper understanding on my problems. For all these, I thank You and praise Your Name O Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

I always remember this sentence, "In all this, Job did not sin in what he said." (v10). Another verse is, "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him" (Job 13: 15). These verses keep me from complaining or murmuring against God even when I feel very depressed and disappointed.

Dear Lord,
Thank You for the example of Job, who trusted in You in all circumstances. Let me never lose faith in You in anyway too. Amen.