Are You Free?
Hagar and Sarah
28 Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born in the ordinary way persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does the Scripture say? "Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman's son." 31 Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
Bee's Thoughts:
Initially when I read the above passage, I felt it was rather 'unfair' that "the slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman's son" since both have the same father. Then as I pondered over it I realized that it was the "law" that made it so unfair. As long as the people are living under that law, it applies to them and they are bound by it. The only way to be freed from that law is when a person dies or when a new law is imposed.
The above principle also applies to our Christian living. Before we become Christians, we have been under the bondage of the law of sins. But when we accepted Jesus as our Saviour, He set us free from that law and gave us a new law of freedom in the Spirit. "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17)
Talking to my friend earlier about 'gambling' on CNY reminds me of what 1 Corinthians Chapters 8-10 teach concerning our new freedom. Example, we may know that we can eat anything, even food offered to idols (since idols is nothing), or we can play 'gambling' on CNY (since we are not addicted to gambling). Yet we have to note that those who are non-Christians or young in age or in spititual life might take these actions seriously and become stumbled.
1 Corinthians 8:9-13:
9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.
1 Corinthians 10:23-33:
23 "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. 24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
Dear Lord,
Thank You for the freedom I have in Christ Jesus. Thank You that because of Christ I can have Your promised eternal inheritance. Yet I pray that I will not take this freedom for granted or do things that will stumble my brothers or sisters in Christ, or people around me. May what I do give glory to You always.
I asked all these in Jeus' name. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
I was unpacking some boxes from my old house today. I was planning to throw away whatever I no longer need; to tidy things up a little. Inside, I was surprised to see so many things that I have kept over the years, way back to 1989. It’s really interesting to read the things we wrote when we are young. As I was going though each of them, I was flooded with memories from my past, some good, some bad but mostly sad ones. Later, I throw most of them away, keeping only some books and photos of myself taken with classmates and friends.

As I sat down and think, one thing hit me hard; the thought of “If only I have accepted Christ earlier, I would have made so many positive changes in my life”.
Then, the comforting voice of the Holy Spirit assured me that everything that has happened is not mere accidents or mistakes made by God but were filled with purpose and significance; changing me into the person He wanted me to be today and showing me how much I need Him. I know God is so intimately involved with His creation, and so aware of every little incident, feeling and thought in our lives, that not even the humble sparrow escapes his gaze. He planned it all out before we even came into existence.
Because of what God has done on the Cross, I can now lift my head up and face today and tomorrow without trapping myself in my past; condemning myself with guilt and self-pity. Because of His grace, I can start making all the positive changes today. Because of His strength, I can be truly free from all the bondages that have tied me down for so long. Because of His faithfulness, I can be ensured always of having exactly what I need. Because of His peace, I can be bold to endure all the challenges in life knowing He will always be there for me. Because of His love, I can learn to love again and to serve others. And because of Him, I can finally grasped the true meaning and purpose of everything in my life.
Thank You my Almighty, Loving and Wonderful God. Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


