Your Name Is Safe
To the Church in Pergamum
12 "To the angel of the church in Pergamum write:
These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword. 13 I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives. 14 Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and by committing sexual immorality. 15 Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. 16 Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. 17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.
Bee's Thoughts:
I have been having throbbing headache and toothache since this morning. I am not sure my headache causes the toothache or the other way round, or is it due to my new work stress. But I still I want to hear what God has to tell me in today's devotion.
Ah, the Christian life is a constant fighting with Satan. The Bible says, we are to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12-13). This is because Satan is constantly trying to cause us to sin. But "To him who overcomes" God "will give some of the hidden manna" and "also give him a white stone with a new name written on it" (v17). We need to be overcomers if we are to receive the heavenly rewards.
What these rewards are I don't know, but I am sure they are something priceless, honourable and eternal. I guess the "hidden manna" might depict something that sustains me, giving me eternal life.
I like to hear my name being called... my name is my identity. When someone remembers my name and calls me by my given name, it means that person knows me. A "new name"... hmmn, maybe depicts something nice and loving to my ear?
Dear Lord,
Thank You for the "manna" and "new name" You promised to those who overcome. Let me be an overcomer till You come to take me home. Grant me strength and perseverence, Lord. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Was talking to a friend recently about cohabitation. I realized living together before marriage has become the normative experience today. In fact, they consider it as beneficial for the both parties. They reasoned that everyone is doing it; there’s no harm to it and it’s only a close-minded person will against it nowadays.
It doesn’t take much effort to learn that cohabitation is the training for divorce.But yet, many are still doing it. Like the City of Pergamun, many today tolerate sin by bowing to pressure of being open-minded and also being influenced from
people around them.Despite all these strong negative influences surrounding us today, we need to remain true to God. Do not compromise or conform to the world when we know things are morally wrong. Be faithful by obeying God’s teaching and refrain from unhealthy practices that will leads to hurts, pains and all the other problems we see today.
Know that God is always faithful. He will provide believers who overcome by standing firm to God’s teachings with spiritual nourishment. God has also promised them greater things; a new name, a new heart and an eternal life with Him.
Thank You Lord for keeping me faithful to You by standing firm. Thank you for giving me the strength and wisdom to overcomes the strong pressures and temptations of society; the wrongful desires and influences in the world. Thank You for Your promise of a new name and new heart. I will trust You Lord as the only Truth in my life. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


