Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Options


Luke 16:19-31

The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25 "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27 "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

29 "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

30 " 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

31 "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "



Bee's Thoughts:

Lives are full of options isn't it?. The choices we made will affect us not only for the present, but also for our future, and even for our next generation of children. Yet these options are only available as long as we are alive. We have to be wise in taking the right options. There is opportunity cost in each option.

Thank God that I came to know Christ when my brother brought me to the Sunday School at a young age. In the Sunday School I listened to the story of Moses and decided to take the God of Moses as my God. That choice I made so many years ago has a great impact on who and what I am today. If I didn't make that choice, I might not even be alive today, or I might live a life full of bitterness or even be insane.


Dear Lord,
By Your grace and mercy, You have saved me from my sins. Thank You for helping me to make that great and important choice of following You, which I have never regretted.

Now I pray that my friends will also make this important choice of following You while they have the chance. For we never know when is the last moment of our life where we can't make anymore choices, and will have to live with the consequences of our last choice. May You be merciful to them too.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

Tommy's Thoughts:

I used to think Jesus will not come back in my lifetime; and uses it as an everyday excuse to wait of committing myself to Him and to change my ways. But I made the mistake of forgetting the possibility of a day being my last day to live. As I read about this recent tragedy in my country, I can’t help but wonder how easy our lives can be taken away from us. When it really does happen to us, it’s all over. There will be no turning back or second chance if we have yet to do what God wanted us to do.


As I sat down and listen to God, I hear Him telling me to stop procrastinating and take up the Cross TODAY. To turn to Him and accept His offer of forgiveness. To repent and start anew with God leading the ways in everything I do. And He has great things prepared for me when I obey and follow Him all the days I live.

Thank You Lord for Your clear reminder of asking me to make the right option TODAY. Thank You Lord for your forgiveness and faithfulness to be with me always when I fall and picking me up again. Thank You for Your mercy and grace that I’m able to change my old ways and to start a new life with You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy