Drawn By The Cross
23 Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
27 "Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!"
Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again." 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.
30 Jesus said, "This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." 33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.
34 The crowd spoke up, "We have heard from the Law that the Christ will remain forever, so how can you say, 'The Son of Man must be lifted up'? Who is this 'Son of Man'?"
35 Then Jesus told them, "You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. 36 Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of light." When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.
Bee's Thoughts:
My recent experiences in working with young children in the preschool help me see again how easily children can be drawn to a caregiver who is loving and caring, yet firm with them. They will test their boundary to see how far they can go and look for their 'safety net'.
By being firm yet assuring the children helps make them feel secured. Love is not giving in to their immediate demands that might jeopardise what's best for them in a long run. So even new children to my preschool, who are suffering from separation anxiety when their parents leave the school, are drawn to me when I show them how much I care for them.
Yes, love is a drawing factor to most people, if not all. I, for one, am easily drawn by someone who truly loves me in ways I can see and feel, who keeps his promises, who cares for my soul and well being.
A question suddenly came to my mind: Who will love me enough to donate one of his kidneys or eyes to me for free if I need a transplant? Is there such a person amongst the people I know? I don't know...
The "cross" is where Jesus Christ laid down His life for me and all mankinds. The "cross" is a symbol of love. How could I not response to such love? I did. I was drawn by the cross of love and sacrifice. I love because He first loved me.
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank You for dying on the cross for me. Thank You for loving me so much. I love You too.
Let me spread Your love around to those who needs Your love. Let Your love be seen in me and felt through me at my place I work and with the people that come across my path.
I ask all these in Your loving name. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
I do understand the meaning of the familiar verse 25 of today passage, but at times unknowingly some of my actions still show I haven’t really release full control of my life to Christ. There are things that I still strive on my own for advantage, happiness and security. There are also times; I’d even risk losing the life God wanted me to have by trying to save my physical life from the temporal pain, discomfort and uneasiness through ‘shortcuts’ and other ‘methods” created all by myself.
I used to think if I were to allow God to be involved in everything in my life, I’ll surely lose my personality and the real person I am. How wrong and self-centered I was! I realized later that the exact opposite will happen when I give my life to Christ, I will find my true self and the very purpose and meaning of living.
Like how Jesus responded in verse 27, we need to learn to say no to our wrongful human desires in order to obey our Heavenly Father and glorify Him. We are called to obedience and we should do His will and bring glory and honor to His name.
Thank You Lord for teaching me to be genuinely committed to You in everything; pledging my whole existence to Your service lovingly and freely; to be an obedient disciple of Christ; to trust You and to let go of my own ways. Only through this, I would become Your “son of lights”, revealing the truth and pointing people to You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


