Fellow Workers
Water From the Rock
1 The whole Israelite community set out from the Desert of Sin, traveling from place to place as the LORD commanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink. 2 So they quarreled with Moses and said, "Give us water to drink."
Moses replied, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the LORD to the test?"
3 But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, "Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?"
4 Then Moses cried out to the LORD, "What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me."
5 The LORD answered Moses, "Walk on ahead of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6 I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink." So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel.
Bee's Thoughts:
Complaints and murmuring seem to be the nature of mankind. In order to counter this nature, God wants Christians to give thanks in everything. They can't complain and give thanks at the same time, right? God also wants Christians to rejoice in Him always. When that happens, there won't be any complaints and murmuring. :)
I was wondering what Moses might be thinking when told to "strike the rock"... how can the rock produce water? Yet Moses just obeyed without questioning. I guess Moses' obedience produces the miracle of water coming from the rock for so many Israelites to drink.
God will be there at the rock... what a great assurance! When God calls us to do something, He will be there with us... we won't be alone.
Dear Lord,
Thank You for always being with us whenever You want us to do something. You never leave us alone as we obey You by faith. Thank You that we can rejoice in You always instead of grumbling.
Let me not complaint when things look bleak at times but to trust in Your faithfulness always.
In Jesus' name I pray.
Tommy's Thoughts:
It’s startling to know that the Israelites can complain and putting God to test just shortly after God miraculously divided the Red Sea in chapter 14. Like the Israelites, we too tend to complain first when things doesn’t go well the way we wanted them to be. Over the years, I’ve learnt that certain problems clearly can be solved through discussion, careful thought, planning and prioritizing. But, there are some we know can only be solved by God himself by praying to Him.
When we are stressed by problems, the first thing to do is pray, which we often overlook. It’s only through few incidences I realized how effective and powerful they are if our heart is true to God. Prayer quiets our noisy thoughts and emotions and prepares us to obey and listen to Him. Like Moses who prayed to God when He has difficulty to calm his people down, God answered Him and helped him to solve his problem. Moses obeyed and did exactly what God has told him to do. And, God made the water flow.
Dear Lord, I heard You everyday on the many ways to “strike the rock” after I’ve prayed to You; to obey and follow Your every commands; doing my part in the works You’ve given me. Help me, O Lord, never to doubt or forget what You can do; how You can solve problems I alone can’t.
Thank You Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


