Friday, January 13, 2006

The Greatest Honor


Esther 4:10-17

10 Then she instructed him to say to Mordecai, 11 "All the king's officials and the people of the royal provinces know that for any man or woman who approaches the king in the inner court without being summoned the king has but one law: that he be put to death. The only exception to this is for the king to extend the gold scepter to him and spare his life. But thirty days have passed since I was called to go to the king."

12 When Esther's words were reported to Mordecai, 13 he sent back this answer: "Do not think that because you are in the king's house you alone of all the Jews will escape. 14 For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 "Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."

17 So Mordecai went away and carried out all of Esther's instructions.


Bee's Thoughts:

God often put us at a place or situation for a purpose, be it to train us, mould our characters, or to prepare us for work He wants us to do in future. Therefore we need to ask God what is His purpose for us at our place of work, or why we go through certain situations/experiences.

I like Esther's attitude, "if I perish, I perish". She is willing to risk her life for something honourable. Will I die for Christ's sake if called upon?

I am experiencing extreme toothache right now. The pain which started yesterday morning is really unbearable even after I have taken the Panadol. My mouth is swollen now with pain. It makes me wonder if I have to be tortured for Christ, can I bear with it? Maybe this is a training for me? It should be the greatest honour to suffer for Christ, yet it takes lots of strength and courage from God to go through it.


Dear Lord Jesus,
The pain I am suffering now gives me a glimpse of what You have gone through when You were nailed on the cross. It must have been many times more painful than what I am experiencing now. Thank You for willing to suffer on my behalf. Now I commit my life to You. If it is possible please remove the pain from me soon. I pray for Your healing hand to touch me.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

Yesterday, I met up with some friends whom I haven’t been in touch for more than 10 years. We had a great time sharing interesting each other’s stories. Most felt really glad that they have survived through the “dark ages” of their lives. We shared about all the good and bad decisions we’d made; the dreadful years of examinations and studies; the loneliness of studying and working abroad; the hardship of making sure every ends meets; the realization that money is not everything in life and the sacrifices for the loved ones. Despite all these, we agreed we did made some right but difficult decision at the right time that gave us the lives we have today.

Today passage also talks about how Esther was confronted by difficult decision to save her people. Esther might have continuously remained in silence with selfish excuses like to keep herself safe or that the killing won’t affect her and her family. As Mordecai confronted her with the possibility that it’s not mere accident she became the queen, Esther sensed there was a purpose for things that has led her to her royal position and to make a timely decision. With courage, faith and knowing that there is a fate worse than death, she made the right choice.

Our lives are filled with difficult but significant choices and decisions. A lot of time, like Esther, we tend to have a long list of excuses not to do the right choice at the right time due to selfishness for our own comfort. As Christian, we must trust God’s provision after we have made a decision. When we have God with us, we have the courage to make difficult decisions in our lives at the right time. Whenever we faced with difficult decision, we need to remind our self with what Mordecai said to Esther: “And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Dear Lord, as I looked back into my past, I saw You working in my life, leading me on a path towards You. Thank You Lord for being with me, safeguarding my life from careening away into the unknown. Lord, though I do not know what the future will bring, teach me, ever to trust in Your Divine Providence and making the right decision at the right time to bring glory and honor to Your name. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy