No Grudges After Sunset
1 Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
2 How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?
Selah
3 Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself;
the LORD will hear when I call to him.
4 In your anger do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.
Selah
5 Offer right sacrifices
and trust in the LORD.
Do not let the sun go down on your wrath.
—Ephesians 4:26
—Ephesians 4:26
Bee's Thoughts:
The swell on my cheek, caused by my toothache, is getting bigger when I woke up this morning. I won't be attending church today as I looked horrible. The pain killers could only ease some pain, not all, and make me feel drowsy the whole day.
I was somewhat disturbed yesterday when my best friend joked about the swell on my cheek. I was thinking, "Here I am already suffering with pain and looking horrible yet he can joke about it, instead of offering some consolation... and he didn't even bother to ask how I was getting on after taking those pain killers given by the hospital." I won't say I was burning with anger, but definitely it's a grudge that I really didn't feel good about. I even told myself that I don't want to talk to him anymore since he doesn't care when I am suffering, much less to believe he would ever donate an organ if I really need it one day.
Thank God that even if my best friend really don't care, my other good friends do. They care enough to ask about my condition daily and offer some suggestions which could be useful for my pain management.
However, today's devotion is a reminder to me that I shouldn't keep any anger or grudge beyond sunset. I should forgive what others say or do to me that might hurt me, be it intentional or unintentional. That's the best anger management tool -- forgiveness.
Dear Lord,
In my anger let me not sin, and not to think or do things that are not in accordance with your teaching. Search my heart and keep it pure. Let me forgive others just as You have forgiven me of all my sins.
Answer me when I call to you, and give me relief from my distress and pain.. be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
My anger brought out the worst side of me. My life was filled with hatred; holding grudges to all those who has wronged and offended me before. I think this has to do with my early childhood, where I was often being accused for things I didn’t commit. Even at a young age, I was feeling depressed all the time; the wound was so deep and I was constantly dwelt in anger, hatred and bitterness. I grew up becoming a very reactive person and always felt being victimized by others; small things can easily infuriate me.
God has changed my old self ever since I accepted Christ into my life. Through His grace and forgiveness, I’ve learnt to forgive and stop hating or holding grudges on others. Whenever I have the urge to feel angry and being reactive, I look upon Jesus; how He has responded to those who tortured Him on the Cross: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34)."
Dear Lord, thank You for Your gift and teaching of forgiveness which allows me to give up condemnation of myself and condemnation of those who have hurt me. Thank You for setting me free from the bondage of victimization through forgiveness of others. Thank You for teaching me to love my enemies and to pray for them. I pray Lord You will continue to mold me to be a person You want me to be, In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


