Affecting Lives
Paul's Labor for the Church
24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
28We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.
Bee's Thoughts:
Love conquers all isn't it? Paul had persevered and worked hard (v29) to help the Colossae Christians grow spiritually because he loved them and hope to present them "perfect in Christ" (v27). That's Paul's calling.
I have been pondering about my calling too yesterday. I asked God why He allowed me to be in ceratin people's life even if it is not going to be forever. I am reminded of Ecclesiastes 3:
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Yes, God has put me there for a purpose... to touch someone's life and mine too. I used to feel sad whenever I felt that my relationship with someone close won't last. But with this new understanding that certain people are in my life for a "season" to serve God's purpose for me and them, I begin to accept the fact that someone close to me may have to leave me one day when the "season" ends.
Dear Lord,
You have created seasons, not only in our environment but also in our life on earth. Thank You that seasons make life less boring and they help us adapt to changes. Thank You for helping me understand my "season" in work and in relationship. Thank You that You have put certain people in my life for a reason and for a "season".
Most importantly I know that even when the "season" ends here on earth, I will still see these loved ones when we go and be with You in heaven one day. There shall be no more season, no more parting, no more tear, no more pain.
Let me treasure what I have and who I have while I am in the "season" of Your plan. And when the "season" ends, I will have no regret that I have fully enjoy that season of life with people close to me.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Joy and happiness, though we may think they are the same but they are not. Joy relates more closely with spirit and soul than with our mind and body. We may be happy today and unhappy tomorrow, but our sense of joy remains constant throughout. This is because happiness fluctuates and depends on outward circumstances while joy is never affected or subject to them.
When we realize or sense that joy no longer flow freely within us, it is most probably we have turn our eyes away from God and to things that are temporarily and fleeting. It may also be we have forgotten about being eternally secure in the arms of our heavenly Father as a Christian.
So, we need to open our heart to God, allowing Him to stay inside us always through thick and thin, good and bad, asking Him to show us how to experience the joy of our salvation once again.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for the joy that comforts me all the time in the midst of every difficult and trying circumstances. Guide me to always focus on those things that are permanent and lasting. Teach me to allow Your joy to give me strength and flow through me to others too. I pray this in Jesus’ name, Amen.

