Friday, June 30, 2006

The Test

Genesis 22

Abraham Tested
1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.

2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

3 Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you."

6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, 7 Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, "Father?"
"Yes, my son?" Abraham replied.
"The fire and wood are here," Isaac said, "but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?"

8 Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together.

9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.

12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

Tommy's Thoughts:

Without trials in our lives, we’ll never have a chance to grow in our character and be tested in our commitment to God. God refines us through difficult circumstances. These circumstances are often similar to those of Abraham, a struggle to give up something we truly want, to let go what we deeply love or to sacrifice our times for God and to trust His ability to provide.

It’s when we are willing to give to God what He asks and entrust Him of everything, that we receive spiritual gain far more outweigh our sacrifices.

Dear Lord, forgive me of not trusting You enough to submit all my wants to You, trusting You to provide what I need. Thank You for Your ‘tests’ that deepen my capacity to obey You more. Teach me to seek You first above all things, committing myself to You daily and be thankful of all the blessings You have brought into my life. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

Abraham's love, faith and obedience to God were tested. He was asked to scarifice someone very dear to him. He had to decide if he should obey and trust that God will provide a way out.

Abraham passed the test! He obeyed and was willing to give his only son whom he loved so much to God. His faith in God proved right... God provided at the last hour.

Yes, I have given whom I loved to God too. I trust that God knows best and will make all things beautiful in His time.

Dear Lord,
I have given You whom I loved. At times I may question why, but I know that obedience is better than sacrifice. Thank You that You will always provide the best, even at the last moment.
Praise You, Lord. Amen,