Sunday, June 04, 2006

An Expensive Gospel

Philippians 1:19-30

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.[a] 20I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.

27Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel 28without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. 29For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, 30since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.

Bee's Thoughts:

I often felt the way the Apostle Paul felt above (v21-26). I felt that dying is gain for me... for then I don't have to suffer on earth anymore, but to live in eternity with Jesus Christ. Yet to live for the sake of others is necessary. I guess the purpose of my existence on earth hasn't fully accomplished yet, otherwise God would have taken me away.

Today, our Pastor spoke about discipleship during the church service. We are to make disciples, not just believers. So have I influenced anyone that he/she wants to seek Christ and follow Him? I don't know, maybe yes, maybe no. But that is my hope and prayer that my life is not a waste on earth. I don't want to just occupy space on earth.

Yes, in a few hours more I will be with the rest of my fellow church members for our combined churches retreat. I really pray that this is a meaning retreat for me and the rest of the members. I want God to speak to me concerning my life, my walk, my work, my relationship, etc. I want to hear His voice.

Dear Lord,
Often I wish I am no longer on earth. Often I wish I can be with You where You are. But I know that my time is not up yet. I pray that You will show me what You want me to do during this churches retreat. Speak to me, Lord.
While I live, let me live my life for Your glory and honour. Let what I say brings encouragement to others. Let me make a difference in the life of those who come in contact with me.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

Paul is the best example of how living with an eternal perspective in mind gives us the freedom to serve and devote our lives to what really matters, without the fear of death. Although we may not have to die for representing Christ like Paul, we may still need to endure certain sufferings and worldly troubles for our conviction and faith.

Thus, when we are certain of our eternal destiny, we will be bold to speak out for Christ, remain in Him with confidence and obedience, and to grow and become more like Him each day.

Dear Lord, thank You for teaching me that when I continue to faithfully represents Christ despite my sufferings; my message and example affect others and even my own self for good. Let me see that when I endure, I’ll be able to take my eyes off of earthly comfort, to build my character and strengthen my faith to serve as an example for others. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.