Thursday, June 22, 2006

Seek His Kingdom First

Luke 12:13-34

The Parable of the Rich Fool
13Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me."

14Jesus replied, "Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?" 15Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

16And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'

18"Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '

20"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'

21"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."

Do Not Worry
22Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

32"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Tommy's Thoughts:

I didn’t really think much about those unanswered prayers I uttered to God over the years. The worst I felt was disappointment, not of God, but myself. I always thought it’s me, there must be something I did wrong or that I do not deserve things I prayed for.

As soon as I live my life seeking His kingdom first; making Jesus the center of my life and surrendering control of every areas- my work, play, plans, relationships to Him; that I began to see all along God has been planning and providing the best for me, what I need most and teaching me to use them in a responsible and accountable manner.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for knowing, planning and providing all my needs. Guide me to continue to seek You first above all things, becoming rich toward You (v21) through faith, service and obedience. Teach me also to learn to give more generously, serve and love others faithfully. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

I have been working very hard at work since last week, leaving my office at about 8 or 9 p.m. at night without dinner. I am feeling very tired but I still find my work challenging, for I know I am dealing with lives, hopefully touching and changing lives too.

Yes, as I consider the birds and the lilies, I feel so fresh again in my spirit. I should learn not to worry too much about my tasks but to trust in God to do His work. All I need is to seek His kingdom first and His righteousness.


Dear Lord,
Though I am physically tired, but I know that You will sustain me to do Your work. I pray for a good night rest and a fresh morning and Your wisdom in dealing with the my colleagues and to make the right decisions at work. Help me be able to encourage my colleagues to go on to do their best. I commit everyone in my office into Your mighty hand, Lord.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.