It’s What God Says
7 The king said to the man of God, "Come home with me and have something to eat, and I will give you a gift."
8 But the man of God answered the king, "Even if you were to give me half your possessions, I would not go with you, nor would I eat bread or drink water here. 9 For I was commanded by the word of the LORD : 'You must not eat bread or drink water or return by the way you came.' " 10 So he took another road and did not return by the way he had come to Bethel.
11 Now there was a certain old prophet living in Bethel, whose sons came and told him all that the man of God had done there that day. They also told their father what he had said to the king. 12 Their father asked them, "Which way did he go?" And his sons showed him which road the man of God from Judah had taken. 13 So he said to his sons, "Saddle the donkey for me." And when they had saddled the donkey for him, he mounted it 14 and rode after the man of God. He found him sitting under an oak tree and asked, "Are you the man of God who came from Judah?"
"I am," he replied.
15 So the prophet said to him, "Come home with me and eat."
16 The man of God said, "I cannot turn back and go with you, nor can I eat bread or drink water with you in this place. 17 I have been told by the word of the LORD : 'You must not eat bread or drink water there or return by the way you came.' "
18 The old prophet answered, "I too am a prophet, as you are. And an angel said to me by the word of the LORD : 'Bring him back with you to your house so that he may eat bread and drink water.' " (But he was lying to him.) 19 So the man of God returned with him and ate and drank in his house.
20 While they were sitting at the table, the word of the LORD came to the old prophet who had brought him back. 21 He cried out to the man of God who had come from Judah, "This is what the LORD says: 'You have defied the word of the LORD and have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you. 22 You came back and ate bread and drank water in the place where he told you not to eat or drink. Therefore your body will not be buried in the tomb of your fathers.' "
Tommy's Thoughts:
The prophet in today’s passage disobeyed God’s command not because he intentionally does not want to listen to God but was not vigilant enough to stay firm despite confusion. He was not wary of the importance of separating God’s truth from what was seemingly the truth, which in the end cost his life.
Today, we also faced similar confusion when someone claims certain truths that contradict with God’s Word. They never come as plain, distinguishable lies but as crafty, believable half-truths that easily deceive those who are not on guard. Satan our Enemy, is the Father of Lies, an angel of light" (2Corinthians 11:14) and nearly everything he says is a half-truth.
Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me how easy it is to fall into Satan’s deception when I’m not watchful. Guide me to spend more time reading the Bible, to know Your truth and disregard whatever contradict with Your words. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
Many times we are just like "the man of God" in the above passage, who obeyed God's word half way for whatever reasons. It may be due to ignorance, doubts, or even change of heart. Sometimes the consequences of such disobedience can be serious.
Dear Lord,
At times I may be like "the man of God" in tonight's devotion. Forgive me for those times that I have disobeyed You. I pray that You will show me the areas in my life that You want to deal with. Please grant me strength to fully obey Your leading. Even if it is painful or if I don't undertsand, help me to do as You lead, for You know what's best for me. I want to trust in You, Lord.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

