Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Who Are You?

1 John 2:1-11

1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for[a] the sins of the whole world.

3We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love[b] is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

7Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.

9Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. 10Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him[c] to make him stumble. 11But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.


Bee's Thoughts:
"Identity theft is a big problem in the age of credit cards and the Internet. It’s not hard for someone to retrieve your vital information and pose as you. If that were to happen, however, it would not change the essence of who you are. The thief would not steal your true identity—just some superficial information about you.

Your identity goes much deeper than your ID numbers. In reality, you are who God says you are."

- The Daily Bread
"Who are you in reality?", some people might ask me. Well, my identity truly goes much deeper than what people can see of me outwardly. There are many things about me that are hidden that only some selected few people will know.

But most of all my eternal identity is, I am a child of God... how comforting! As a child of God, I inherited God's nature to want to do what is right, though sometimes doing the right thing might means a disadvantage to myself in this world, like in my recent work experience. Yet, the Holy Spirit in me would prompt me to do the right thing.


Dear Lord,
At times I may feel that if I am not a Christian I wouldn't have been taken advantage of. But yet I know that whatever I lost in this world I will gain them in many portions when I am with You one day. Let me stand firm in doing what's right rather than copy what the world will do.
As I start my new work tomorrow, grant me wisdom to do the tasks given to me. Let me speak and do the right things always.
In Jesus' name I pary. Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

Today’s passage tells us that we will not grow spiritually while we continue hating, ignoring or despising others like irritants, annoyances or adversaries. Our growing relationship with God will result in a growing, genuine and loving relationship with others.

By understanding and respecting each other’s unique differences and agreeing on the disagreeables agreeably, we can change our attitude towards others. Instead of constantly focusing on their flaws, lackings or annoyances, we can choose to be concerned with their well-being or situation, being grateful and thankful for them. If we choose to love others, God will help us to express that love to them.

Dear Lord, thank You for teaching me that Christian love is not a feeling but a choice; a choice to show true concern and respect to others, whether or not I feel affection towards them. I trust that You will help me to always express true and genuine love to others. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.