A Welcoming Love
The Parable of the Lost Son
11Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.
13"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
21"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.[a]'
22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.
25"Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'
28"The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'
31" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "
Tommy's Thoughts:
Despite His omnipotence, God will never force us to go to Him. He gives us human being a will of our own, to be able to make our own choices. Through free will, God allow us to choose between good and evil. He searches our heart and constantly gives us opportunities to respond to Him and His ways.
But many misuse this free will by living life on our own way instead of His, selfishly pushing aside any responsibility or commitment getting in our ways. Like the younger son, we disobeyed and ‘ran’ away from God, wanted to be free to live as we pleased. Eventually, consequences of our irresponsible action and attitude bring us to our senses to acknowledge that we need God’s help and guidance.
Heavenly Father, thank You for Your amazing love that is always constant, patient and welcoming. Thank You for the many times that You told me to stop and look, saving myself from grief, sorrow and disappointment. Teach me not to take Your patience for granted and to go my own way, not heeding Your commands.
Dear Lord, again thank You for the blessing You brings into my life each day; that teaches and changes me into a better person. I pray that You will keep me close to You and Your ways, not to be lead astray by the many distractions in my mind. I ask all these in Jesus’ name, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
Very often we too forget our position in Christ, just like the elder son in the above passage. We forget that our rich heavenly Father is more than willing to bless us with all His riches if only we ask from Him. We live like a 'beggar' even though we are rich in Christ.
This passage coincides with the message at my church retreat today on "receiving the blessing of God". The speaker said that if we truly love God, He will bless us and we just need to ask from Him. If we love God we will ask for the right thing... things that will honour God and not ourselves. God wants to bless us so that we can also bless others.
Dear Lord,
Forgive me for the times when I have forgotten my position in Christ and that You want to bless me richly.
Thank You that whenever I have learnt my lesson and obey You, You bless me. Thank You for the new work I will be starting next week. I believe You have a great plan in placing me in that position which I did not ask for. You want to use me to bless others just as You have blessed me. I pray for wisdom and strength to lead others to do what is right that Your name may be glorified.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


