Aliens and Strangers
13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Life in this world is imperfect, there are things we desperately long and hope for that never seem to come true and ever so far away. We thought God somehow will immediately grant what we want when we believe in Him. When things are not fulfilled, we easily turn frustrated and discouraged. Because of our impatience, we sometimes decided to quit.
But, we should take courage and learn from these heroes of faith in today’s passage who were still living by faith when they died, though did not receive the things promised. It’s because they saw their home is not here but at an eternal place. Yet, they lived responsibly, knowing their every action carries eternal significances.
Dear Lord, forgive me that at times I live everyday shortsightedly focusing and attached to this world’s desires and possessions that are not eternal. Teach me Lord to know that I’m a visitor here on a journey to the heavenly home You have prepared for us. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
This world is not my homeThe above is a very old song. It helps us, Christians, to remember where our real home is and what our eternal hope is. Many times, even Christians can forget that they have an eternal home when they become too stress. For me, when I remember that this world is not my home, my tolerance for stress go up 'cos my stress becomes temporal.... and I don't feel so stressful.
I'm just a passing through.
My treasures are laid up
somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels backon me
from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home
in this world anymore.
Dear Lord,
Thank You that our sufferings on earth is only temporal. A little while more, we shall be with You for eternity if we continue to have faith in You. Help us not lose heart.
Now I pray for my best friend, as he is taking his test tomorrow. Grant him a good and peaceful sleep, and rise up with a clear mind. Help him answer all the questions wisely. May Your Spirit grants him wisdom and understanding. Let him trust in You and not be anxious during his test.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


